My life, so far: Jessica Ballardo

My life, so far: Jessica Ballardo

Jessica Ballardo, Staff Reporter

I think the best advice I could give myself as a freshman is to not be afraid. I was so afraid of not fitting in, of making new friends, and of trying new things, that I missed out on a lot of opportunities that could have been amazing for me.

I think too many people are so worried about finding where they “belong” their freshman year that they fail to realize it happens naturally. If you are willing to step just a little bit outside of your comfort zone, you can discover so much about who you are in high school.

I wish I would have joined at least one club that I was really passionate about my freshman year, because then I would have had a constant extracurricular activity and an easy way to make new friends that last throughout your entire high school experience.

I also wish I would have taken school a bit more seriously my sophomore year, because although at the time I thought my grades that year wouldn’t matter in the long run, they did. Nonetheless, I am really proud of myself for being a part of the IB Program throughout high school and accepting all the challenges that come with it, no matter how tough. The IB Program taught me so much about what I am capable of, as well as introduced me to some of my best friends.  I truly believe being in this program prepared me for what actual college classes will be like, and I am so grateful for that opportunity.

I am also proud of myself for staying sane during college application season and completing all of the necessary requirements in order to get accepted into several colleges. It was really important for me to have a wide variety of colleges to choose from, and visiting all of them was really fun and eye-opening. I plan to attend San Jose State University in the fall and double major in English and journalism. I hope to perfect my writing skills as well as learn a lot more about the journalism industry, possibly even get an internship.

I am really excited for what college has in store for me and I plan to take advantage of every new opportunity that presents itself.

After college, I hope to move to Los Angeles and explore my opportunities there. I’m not completely sure where life will take me, but I’m ready for the adventure.