Presidential election is coming down to the wire

Madison Courtney, Staff Reporter

The 2016 presidential election is the most publicized and hyped election to date. Three candidates stand for the opportunity to be elected as president. Donald Trump, the only Republican candidate left in the running, is a controversial person because of his views on many topics like immigration. Hillary Clinton is one of the two Democratic candidates and is the more likely person to win the nomination at this point in the race. Bernie Sanders is the other Democratic candidate, with a lesser backing from delegates but a large support from the youth of America.

Trump is a controversial candidate in the 2016 presidential election. Either people like and respect him, or completely hate him. This is because he has very strong opinions on issues like immigration, guns and abortion. He usually is not in the middle about an issue, it’s very strongly one way or the other. When asked about immigration he said “As president … I would be very, very tough on the borders, and I would be not allowing certain people to come into this country without absolute perfect documentation.”

On other issues like abortion he said, “I am pro-life. I support that position with exceptions allowed for rape, incest or the life of the mother being at risk. I did not always hold this position, but I had a significant personal experience that brought the precious gift of life into perspective for me.” Trump also wrote, “Public funding of abortion providers is an insult to people of conscience at the least and an affront to good governance at best.”

Clinton is one of the two democratic candidates for the nomination. She has more delegates backing her than Sanders, but it isn’t too late for those numbers to change against her and into his. Clinton believes in many of the opposite views as Trump. On the case of immigration she said “I am 100 percent behind comprehensive immigration reform that includes a path to citizenship. I will stand up against any effort to deport dreamers. Immigrants are vital to our economy”

On issues like gun control she said “More than 33,000 Americans are killed by guns each year. It’s time to act. As President, I’ll take on the gun lobby and fight for common sense reforms to keep guns away from terrorists, domestic abusers, and other violent criminals—including comprehensive background checks and closing loopholes that allow guns to fall into the wrong hands.”

Sanders, the other candidate for the democratic nomination is supported by the younger crowd in America. He promises help with issues like college tuition and supporting gay marriage. This is the reason why many young adults like him, because he wants to make life easier, not harder. On issues such as immigration he said “As president, I will fight for comprehensive immigration reform that provides a roadmap to citizenship for the 11 million aspiring Americans living in this country. But I will not wait for Congress to act. I will take executive action to accomplish what Congress has failed to do and build upon President Obama’s executive orders to unite families.”

On other issues such as education he said, “As President, I will: make tuition free at public colleges and universities, lower student loan interest rates for current and future borrowers, ensure all children have access to a quality education by fighting to ensure equal access to educational resources, and make child care and pre-K schools universal and affordable.”

The presidential election is the most controversial to date, with only three left in the running, who do you support?