My life, so far: Elias Amos

My life, so far: Elias Amos

Four years of being happy, angry, sad, are soon to come to an end. Two weeks away from graduation and it seems like it all went by in a blur.

I can remember it all as if it had just happened yesterday

— Elias Amos

August 12, 2012, freshman year, first day of high school and I had no idea what to expect. Watching movies growing up, I assumed that it would be just like that, everybody belonging to certain cliques like the jocks, nerds, and preppy kids.

I was trying to figure out how I would fit in with everyone because I literally had no clue. I relied on my older friends that I grew up with to show how high school was. If I was able to give myself the knowledge I have now, there would be a laundry list of things. The first thing would have been to try harder in school than I did for the better part of four years because that could have bettered my chances to go to a U.C. after high school. The second thing would have been to be a little bit friendlier, but not try and be cool with every new person I met because I met a lot of fake friends, but some good friends, too, through high school. The best thing to do is keep your circle of friends small.

Things I somewhat regret not doing include not going to as many school events as I would have liked to, going to more parties, and not taking basketball as seriously as I do now. Honestly, not dedicating myself to basketball is my biggest regret because up until my junior year I never took basketball seriously. I wouldn’t diet properly, didn’t practice as much as I needed to, and, overall thought that the skill would just come to me. I didn’t understand the concept that it really would take hard work to be able to get better.

I am still proud of the many things that I did in my four years of hard work. First, is that I am happy to have to have played for the high school team when I did because I got that experience of playing a high school game. Second, I am glad I took computer typing because my words per minute with typing now are so good, and I don’t have to look down at what keys I’m pressing like I used to when I was younger. Third, I’m glad to have taken Spanish because now I can understand the language really well, and, although I can’t speak it very well, I’m able to pick up on conversations that go on.

In the future I hope to play basketball for a prestigious college and go to the NBA, even though it is a very farfetched dream, I’ve always felt it’s possible. While at college I want to major in computer science, and if basketball doesn’t work for me, I want to be a game tester or a software engineer. These two jobs are really the only ones that I could deal with doing because I can’t imagine myself working an ordinary 9 to 5 job.