Football Squad starts preparation for fall

Wayne Thallander

Tracy quarterback Josh Alvarado scrambles for yards during game against Turlock.

Duncan Ordenana, Staff Reporter

The Tracy High football team has a lot to look forward to next season. The team is will be losing 15 starting spots to graduation, but many players in many key positions are returning.

The Bulldogs get last year’s captain and three-year starter Dominic Splan back at center. Splan had an impressive junior season, winning all league and all area honors. He will lead the offensive line as the only returning starter.

“I’m excited to finally be a senior,” Splan said. “It’s my team now and I’m excited to see what we can do.”

Head coach Matt Shrout has high praise for his only three-year starter.

“Dominic has done everything we need him to do, and I have full confidence in his ability to lead the team,” Shrout said.

The Bulldogs also get their starting quarterback Joshua Alvarado back. Alvarado was a sophomore this past season. Alvarado showed a lot of potential leading the Bulldogs to a 3-2 league record even after missing three games because he was too young. In order to play on a varsity team a player must be 15 years old. Alvarado started the first game only being 14.

“Last year was a great experience for me,” Alvarado said. “It will be fun playing with my junior class”

The Bulldogs add two different opponents to the schedule as they dropped Clayton Valley and Beyer. They open up the season against San Ramon Valley at San Ramon Valley High on Aug. 26. Tracy will play Liberty High at Tracy High on Sept. 23.

The Bulldogs freshman team will be getting a new head coach in Joe Hayes. Hayes was a freshman coach at West High last year. He has had a lot of football experience on his resume. He was a walk on at San Jose State University and played for the Green Bay Packers for two years. He also played in European League, but now has put his focus on helping others.

“My players can expect me to be fearful, firm, and consistent,” Hayes said. 

I expect them to work hard and build with each other. They all need to be football strong and most importantly academically strong to move on to the next level.

— Joe Hayes

“I have known Joe for years,” Coach Jeff Pribble said. “ He is a great guy, and I believe he is the right guy for the job.”