Tracy elects new ASB, class officers for 2016-2017

Madison Courtney, Staff Reporter

Class elections are an important part of the school year. Students work together as a class to solve school-related issues. There are five different president roles students can assume, Associate Student Body (ASB) president, and a president for each grade-level.

The ASB president for 2016-2017 is senior Hailey Warren. The vice-president is Wendy Zanker, the secretary is Sonam Sehdev, the treasurer is Karina Rodriguez, and the board representative is Eliana Arnaudo.

The ASB president is in charge of activities like working with the leadership class to plan rallies, spirit week, and Dog Pound at games, and many other events. Warren plans to make sure the spirit at Tracy High is even better than before.

“A lot of school events have ASB at the heart as the planners, along with leadership, and I want to make sure that we stay organized and have fun. As president, I’m really excited for next year,” Warren said.

The junior class president for the 2016-2017 school year is Janelle Bush. The vice-president is Rachael McGill. The secretary is Allegra Gutierrez, and the treasurer has not been determined.

Class presidents work on events that are only for their class, or that each class has a specific task in an event.

“I wanted to be president because I’ve been in leadership for a long time, and I’ve always wanted to be president, but I’ve always been vice-president,” Bush said. “Being class president is very important to me because I love the work that I get to do.”

“What I look forward to most during my presidency is planning homecoming, because it’s so fun to be in charge, choose ideas, and see the idea all the way to the finished product,” Bush added.

The sophomore class president is Alexa Van Os. The vice president is Baily Henderson. The treasurer is Marti Rhinehart, and the secretary is Jazmine Saldivar.

Van Os plans to improve school spirit among her peers and make sure everyone has a fun school year.

“I can take what I’ve learned last year and apply it to this year, and make sure I listen to my class so everyone feels included,” Van Os said.

“A lot of freshman didn’t get into spirit, and I want to change that this year, show everyone how fun it is and make them feel included,” Van Os added.

Leadership teacher Alana Carter is pleased with how the elections turned out.

“There were many offices that ran opposed this year, and it makes it interesting to see who wins the election. Either way with the candidates for each office, I would’ve been pleased,” Carter said

I feel great about all of the students voted into office, they all have leadership experience, and I’m sure they’ll start the school year off strong

— Alana Carter