Marglon saves the day; Hurst shifts boys into high gear

Dallyce Marglon blocks a goal against West High.

Wayne Thallander

Averie Ramirez, Staff Reporter

Every sport team needs a leader, that person for the varsity water polo team is Tracy High senior Dallyce Marglon.

Marglon has been playing goalie since freshman year.

“I was just thrown into that position.” Marglon said. “Once I started to play it I realized how unique and different it was and really started to enjoy it.”

“Dallyce could easily be one of the best goalies in the section,” head coach Keith Britt. “She has the potential to play at the next level.”

Towering over everyone at 5’8”, Marglon has higher reach out of the water. She also has very long arms giving her a big advantage in the net.

Marglon is also big on being a team player. She enjoys working in groups where everyone can thrive off of their strengths.

“My biggest weakness is when I get irritated and start to yell,” Marglon said. Another weakness has been following Marglon since eighth grade. In that year she tore her ACL, the following year she tore the other one.

“From time to time both of my knees get sore, but eventually it gets better and I play again.”

“Dallyce is a very positive player, but does get frustrated easily,” Teammate Samantha Williams said, “But she tries to stay positive and keeps everyone happy.”

“In games she helps by telling us what to do and how we should be setting up.” Williams said. “She takes control and guides us, and lets us know what to do to get better.”

“I really count on her a lot; she has great leadership and really sets an example for the younger girls,” Britt said.

The varsity boys also have a succeeding player, a freshman Kor Hurst, who was pulled up to play at the varsity level. Hurst has been playing water polo for three years on club teams. He has played for Stockton and 680 San Ramon.

“He is a good enough to play at the varsity level,” Britt said. “He is a big help to the team and the program.”

“He is a good teacher of the game and influences his teammates to do better,” Britt said.

“He is definitely a good ball handler, if not the best on the team,” junior Taylor Mellick said. “It has really helped the team to have someone like him be pulled up.”

“He has had much more coaching experience than us,” Mellick said. “Just by watching him play it helps me pick up on certain moves and ways of doing some things that can help me others, improve.”