Life Through my Eyes

Sydney Breckenridge, A&E Editor

Have you ever felt potentially outcasted due to your ethnicity? If not, some might say you’re pretty fortunate.

Hi, my name is Sydney Breckenridge, an African American/Asian female, who happens to be a part of the LGBTQ+ community. Feeling misplaced, confused, and stuck in-between can be very frustrating but it can make you feel unique as well. At Tracy High there is a 5% population of African Americans. As an African American, I’m a minority.

For decades, African Americans have been treated differently in the education system due to the color of our skin and others’ perceptions of us, based on stereotypes made about us. While some might say the situation has improved over the years, being a minority in school is still a very delicate situation. 

Within the past three years things have gotten more controversial with this generation and when teenagers do not understand the controversy, they tend to make fun of it, which really is not humorous at all.

For example, I was returning from the restroom when I overheard three people speaking.

“So-in-so is being racist,” person one said.

I listened more closely.  

“It’s bigger than black and white,” person two responded

The third person went on to put a fist up.

I know they meant no harm in it, but I view it as highly inappropriate. It mimics the things we did or said when fighting for justice while innocent lives were taken because of the pigment of our skin.

Along with inappropriate comments by students in the education system, students use hurtful language without knowing the history behind certain words.

It’s important to know the history of specific words.

When you are growing up, depending on your environment, you hear different words used as slang. I believe there are words that could be seen as highly offensive by many that should never be used as slang.

Likewise, why do individuals get upset for people standing up for what they believe in?

Why do people feel offended when someone says Black Lives Matter or when we see black athletes kneel in protest to voice their ideas for what they view as right or wrong?

No one should feel endangered or scared for being themselves. Treating people poorly or unfairly doesn’t belong here in our country.

This has been going on for years and continues to be an issue. This happens on school campuses around the country as well. Many people talk about change, but at times, change can be hard to see. Our actions speak louder than words. As for myself, I’m looking to make changes one day at a time.