• Scholar & Athlete is the Tracy High School student newspaper
  • Email for newspaper adviser - Brandon Red, [email protected]
  • Tracy High School - 315 East Eleventh Street - Tracy, California 95376 - Phone 209.830.3360
The student news site of Tracy High School

Scholar & Athlete

Scholar & Athlete

Scholar & Athlete

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Welcome Wichman to THS

Steve Wichman, first-year Assistant Principle at Tracy High School, said he was ecstatic to join the Bulldog family. Wichman, who was Principal at Poet Elementary School a year ago, was ready to move back to the high school ranks.  

“I couldn’t pass up on this position,” Wichman said. 

As a former football player for West High School, Delta Junior College, and the University of Idaho, Wichman began to understand the deeper meaning of sports and how they aid people mentally, helping them to take their mind off negative things in their life. 

Due to his growing love for football, Wichman wanted to pursue it further, coaching at various schools in the valley. He desired to help others understand the meaning of sports, encouraging them to become star players and great student athletes overall. 

But after coaching full-time for several years, he realized he wanted to settle down with his wife and commit to his newly growing family. 

“Starting a family really forced me to prioritize my commitments in my professional life,” Wichman explained. “I wanted to prioritize being a dad and a husband.” 

Wichman wanted to focus on his family while taking on more of a leadership role as an administrator, stepping back from coaching. 

“I can’t express to anyone in words how difficult that was for me,” Wichman nodded, explaining the decision of leaving coaching behind.  

Even during this difficult decision, Wichman was excited to learn about an opening at Tracy High School. Wichman has known Tracy as home since his childhood, as his dad coached football here. 

“Tracy High has so many memories of my life, and coming back here makes me feel like I’m back in my childhood,” Wichman smiled.