• Scholar & Athlete is the Tracy High School student newspaper
  • Email for newspaper adviser - Brandon Red, [email protected]
  • Tracy High School - 315 East Eleventh Street - Tracy, California 95376 - Phone 209.830.3360
The student news site of Tracy High School

Scholar & Athlete

Scholar & Athlete

Scholar & Athlete

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Dia de Los Muertos

An annual Mexican holiday called “Dia de Los Muertos” or “The Day of the Dead” was celebrated on Nov. 2. Tracy High School’s Latinos Unidos Club prepared and planned a beautiful performance for the audience to enjoy, including displays around the campus. 

Dia de Los Muertos is celebrated Nov. 1 to Nov. 2. The day is dedicated to those who have passed away with the focus being on keeping their memory alive.

Every year on Nov. 2 Latinos Unidos Club perform dances at the school, as well as decorating certain areas around the campus to share and honor this Mexican holiday. 

All three captains of the club, Alejandra Pacheco, Isabella Bedoya and Brian Gonzalez described performing in front of an audience as nerve wrecking.

“We just kind of remember that we all have been practicing and that a lot of people wouldn’t have the courage to do that,” Pacheco stated.

The mindset of knowing others wouldn’t have the boldness to go out and dance in front of a big crowd is brave and inspiring, making it an enjoyable experience and performance despite how much stress they mentioned they had.

Everyone participating in the performances were dressed up, including the girls who had beautiful, colorful skirts with calavera/skeleton makeup. The boys had their suits and sombreros, as well as calavera/skeleton makeup. 

“The first one we did these girls actually practiced it in two practices, and so they did really good for just two practices,” Pacheco mentioned.

The club is well experienced on what to do when they perform since they practiced many times to perfect the moves. In a short amount of time, they learned the routine, showing how disciplined and determined they all are in creating a flawless performance. 

The Latino’s Unidos Club was dedicated and worked hard to create a very beautiful Mexican celebration. They shared it with the school by decorating with amazing displays and enjoyable performances. The dances, and everything put into making the celebration feel lively, made it a memorable day.