• Scholar & Athlete is the Tracy High School student newspaper
  • Email for newspaper adviser - Brandon Red, [email protected]
  • Tracy High School - 315 East Eleventh Street - Tracy, California 95376 - Phone 209.830.3360
The student news site of Tracy High School

Scholar & Athlete

Scholar & Athlete

Scholar & Athlete

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Students Prepare for the Future

On Nov. 8, 2023, Tracy High School hosted a College and Career Fair. This event allows THS to provide guidance to their students who are having trouble picking what they want to do after graduation.

Alejandro Wences, an admission counselor for the University of San Fransisco highly encourages students to go to college after high school. Being the first in his family to go to college, he had a difficult time navigating his way through applications and college life in general.

Wences’ main piece of advice to students who are going through similar struggles is to seek out as many resources as possible.

“During college get all the resources you need to be successful and advocate for yourself so you can be the best academically, socially, and emotionally,” Wences stated.

Asking the right questions can be challenging but if you give it some thought then finding out what information you need to apply, the whole process will be much easier.

Coming up with a plan for life after high school during the early years can help take some stress off you once your senior year rolls around. The admissions coordinator for University of Nevada Reno, Julio Leyva, heavily preaches this idea.

“Students are usually not ready when senior year comes around, so the earlier you create your college plan the more prepared you will be to not only apply to universities but also to get as many scholarships as possible,” Leyva said.

While picking colleges it is best to understand exactly what you want. Many important factors go into deciding where it is you want to go. Important things to consider when researching schools are your budget, where your ideal location is, and things you do and don’t like about each university.

Going to school is not the only option for a career after high school. Joining the armed forces is a great alternative and comes with many benefits.

Armando Ivara, a gas turbo mechanic for the Navy speaks for those who are not fans of a structured curriculum.

“To be realistic college isn’t for everybody. Some people are more hands-on learners like me and this has helped,” Ivara informed.

Ivara was able to do school part time while also being in the Navy and it came along with great benefits such as free school to family members through the GI bill, financial security, and housing through a VA home loan.

Doing personal research and visiting your counselor on any questions you have is important. No matter what route you choose, college or not, with hard work, you are guaranteed a bright future.