• Scholar & Athlete is the Tracy High School student newspaper
  • Email for newspaper adviser - Brandon Red, [email protected]
  • Tracy High School - 315 East Eleventh Street - Tracy, California 95376 - Phone 209.830.3360
The student news site of Tracy High School

Scholar & Athlete

Scholar & Athlete

Scholar & Athlete

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

NY6 Preview

NY6+Preview

2023 College Football Bowl Games Preview

The 2023 College Football season is close to its conclusion as the bowl games will begin on Saturday, Dec. 16th and will come to an end on Jan. 8, when one of the four teams in the College Football Playoff picture will solidify themselves as National Champions. In this article, I will preview some of the most important bowl games (including the playoff games) this year along with a prediction for the outcomes of these games.

College Football Playoffs

Rose Bowl (Semifinal): Michigan vs. Alabama

Date: Jan. 1 at 2 p.m.

Prediction: Alabama defeats Michigan 35-10

Why: While Michigan goes into the CFP as the number one ranked team in the nation, Alabama is coming off of a great win streak that includes their win against Georgia in the SEC Championship Game. Alabama also has an edge going into the playoffs due to the impressive track record and experience that Nick Saban has from the past.

Sugar Bowl (Semifinal): Washington vs. Texas

Date: Jan. 1 at 5:45 p.m.

Prediction: Texas defeats Washington 42-35

Why: With the amount of firepower that both teams have on their offenses, I do expect this game to be a shootout until the very end. With that being said, I think Quinn Ewers and his offense will be able to outgun the Heisman trophy runner up Michael Penix Jr. and his supporting cast.

CFP National Championship Prediction: Texas vs. Alabama

Date: Jan. 8 at 4:30 p.m.

Prediction: Alabama defeats Texas 35-24

Why: Even though Texas took down Alabama early on in the season, I do believe that Alabama would have an edge in this potential matchup. One of the main reasons for the Crimson Tide loss to the Longhorns was the mistakes that Jalen Milroe made late in the game that made it

easy for Texas to take the lead in the fourth quarter. However, one thing that could turn the tide this time around is the amount of growth that Milroe has shown since that point that helped Alabama get where they are now.

Other Important Bowl Games

Even though these Bowl Games might not have anything to do with the CFP, there are still some great teams that will go out and try to end their seasons on a high note. One important note to add is that some of the better players out there are likely to sit out of their Bowl Game to protect themselves from injury before the NFL Draft.

1.) Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic: Missouri vs. Ohio State

Date: Dec. 29 at 5 p.m.

Prediction: Missouri defeats Ohio State 28-20

Why: Missouri will have an edge going into this game because Ohio State will likely have a gutted roster due to most of their key starters sitting out as they prepare for the NFL Draft. This can provide a great opportunity for Missouri to end their season with a win.

2.) Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl: Ole Miss vs. Penn State

Date: Dec. 30 at 9 a.m.

Prediction: Ole Miss defeats Penn State 28-14

Why: This matchup can prove to be one of the better bowl games this year because there aren’t many key players that will sit out on either side. It will also be a battle of strengths as Ole Miss has displayed good offense this year while Penn State has displayed good defense. In the end, I expect the Rebels offense to prevail especially with the loss of the star defensive end Chop Robinson for Penn State.

3.) Capital One Orange Bowl: Florida State vs. Georgia

Date: Dec. 30, 1 p.m.

Prediction: Florida State defeats Georgia 21-17

Why: This bowl game will be a matchup of two teams coming off of the frustration of not making the CFP after Georgia was taken down by Alabama in the SEC Championship and the

undefeated Florida State were flexed out due to the season ending injury to quarterback Jordan Travis. I do expect Florida State to end the season undefeated as they should be facing a very depleted Georgia roster due to opt outs and players entering the transfer portal.

14.) VRBO Fiesta Bowl: Oregon vs. Liberty

Date: Dec. 27 at 10 a.m.

Prediction: Oregon defeats Liberty 42-14

Why: Oregon is coming off of a great season as their offense was stellar throughout the whole year. I don’t expect that trend to change against Liberty this year due to the surprising decision that Bo Nix made to play even as he hopes to be selected in the NFL Draft this year. Bo Nix has a great chance to end his college career on a strong note with an overpowering defeat of Liberty.