• Scholar & Athlete is the Tracy High School student newspaper
  • Email for newspaper adviser - Brandon Red, [email protected]
  • Tracy High School - 315 East Eleventh Street - Tracy, California 95376 - Phone 209.830.3360
The student news site of Tracy High School

Scholar & Athlete

Scholar & Athlete

Scholar & Athlete

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Girls Senior Night Basketball

On Thursday, Feb. 1, the Tracy High School girls’ basketball team hosted the Lodi flames, as it was their last home game and senior night. With a tough fight, Lodi defeated Tracy High 37-26.

The four seniors each made their way out to the court, escorted by family, friends, relatives, etc. They each had a walk-out song they got to choose, along with Mr. Shelton announcing their names, future goals and plans that they wish to achieve after high school.

“It was sad knowing I’ll never put on the uniform again,” Lauren Hoock, senior starting post, said. “Growing up going to basketball camps at Tracy and playing here the past four years has been something so special, so knowing I’ll never get the opportunity to do it again is sad.”

With an intense eight minute quarter, the Bulldogs and Flames battled back and forth, ending the first quarter with a score of 8-3, the Lodi Flames leading.

“Overall, I feel like my last year on Varsity was stressful and overwhelming for a while but once I just started to focus on the game, I became a lot happier and more successful,” Madison Cornwell, senior starting point guard said. “Basketball taught me how to prioritize my time and practice discipline.”

As the Bulldogs continued to fight, the Flames fought even harder, keeping their lead in the second quarter with a score of 13-21.

“Due to injuries, my season got cut shorter than I would have hoped, but I feel like I did my part and did the best I could do when I did play,” Amaya Martinez, senior said. “After high school I continue to pursue my basketball career and academics at Los Positas Community College.”

After halftime, the Bulldogs had their chance to come back, but the Flames continued to fight and put the nail in the coffin. The third quarter had ended with a score of 21-32.

The Bulldogs continued to put up a tough fight against the Flames, but the Bulldogs still fell short with an ending score of 37-26. Although this was the Seniors’ last home game, the girl’s team still took pride in being able to experience and make memories this year through the ups and downs they went through.

“I would tell the girls that are coming up to Varsity next year to always make sure to give 100% and not take what you have for granted. Bond with your teammates and have good team chemistry, time goes by fast so enjoy it while you can,” Hoock said.