• Scholar & Athlete is the Tracy High School student newspaper
  • Email for newspaper adviser - Brandon Red, [email protected]
  • Tracy High School - 315 East Eleventh Street - Tracy, California 95376 - Phone 209.830.3360
The student news site of Tracy High School

Scholar & Athlete

Scholar & Athlete

Scholar & Athlete

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Day Light Savings

As 2024 goes on and the weather starts getting warmer, this means we get closer to having longer days which is referred to as Daylight Savings Time. 

Daylight Savings Time will start on the second Sunday of March and will land on March 10th this year. This means that we will lose one hour of sleep. The sunset will be one to two hours later than it usually is. 

Daylight Savings tends to make individuals feel safer in the afternoon when going on their daily walks or clocking out from work alone which can feel scary to some individuals. The later sunset can help the individuals feel more secure being on their own due to the sunlight. 

Daylights Savings can also motivate individuals to be more active. With more sun they can feel motivated to go play a sport outside with their friends or just work out in general outside. 

“I love Daylights Saving because it makes me feel safer getting out of work. I work at Target, and I’m typically always scheduled to start in the afternoon which means clocking out late in the afternoon or even at night. So, with Daylight Savings I won’t be paranoid while walking to my car,” Ariana Galvez stated when asked about her feelings on Daylights Saving beginning. 

 “I like Daylights Saving Time because I can play with my little sister outside for longer now. I would constantly get asked if we could go outside to play but I would always have to tell her it’s not safe since it’s pitch-black outside,” Jessica Martinez shared when asked what she was most excited about. 

Although many people are excited about having longer days, not everyone is. 

“I like being done with my day at 6pm and it being dark outside early since I’m not an outside person at all, my days already feel long as is I am not excited about the extra sunlight at all,” stated Fernando Reyes when asked how he felt about Daylights Time. 

With longer days and longer sunsets, this means summer is closer which can be something people will look forward to.