• Scholar & Athlete is the Tracy High School student newspaper
  • Email for newspaper adviser - Brandon Red, [email protected]
  • Tracy High School - 315 East Eleventh Street - Tracy, California 95376 - Phone 209.830.3360
The student news site of Tracy High School

Scholar & Athlete

Scholar & Athlete

Scholar & Athlete

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Draft Day: Future Stars

2024 NFL Draft Review

With the conclusion of the 2024 National Football League (NFL) Draft in Detroit on April 27. each NFL franchise has a little extra hope for the upcoming season as they look forward to seeing some of the top college players step into their new uniforms and try to make an impact on day one.

First Round Recap

No. 1 (Chicago Bears): Caleb Williams

It was not much of a surprise for many as Caleb Williams was announced the number one overall pick in the 2024 draft class after the Bears decided to move on from Justin Fields, their former hopes as their franchise quarterback before his eventual trade to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Williams emerged as one of the most high-profile draft prospects in recent history after spending two seasons with The University of South Carolina by winning the Heisman trophy in 2022 and consistently leading a flawed roster to high scoring and entertaining games every week. Along with his accuracy and ability to throw the deep ball, Williams shows a great sense of pocket presence and extends plays on an elite level to gash the defense when they break down late in the play. In his Heisman winning year in 2022, Williams threw for 4,537 yards and 42 touchdowns as he took the college football world by storm. He then followed that stellar season with another impressive year with 3,633 yards and 30 touchdowns. Chicago fans will be looking forward to seeing how Williams can perform with the other big moves that the Bears made this offseason.

No. 2 (Washington Commanders): Jayden Daniels

After an impressive Heisman winning campaign in 2023, Jayden Daniels surprised many after plenty of mid-level seasons and shot up people’s draft boards all the way up to the Commanders at the second overall pick. In his 2023 season, Daniels threw for 3,812 yards and 40 touchdowns with the best quarterback rating in college football with a 95.6 rating. Daniels displays great athleticism and ability to get out of broken plays. This can be something to watch for in the future as he has also proven to be risky as he leaves the pocket and has taken some big hits in the process. His willingness to take hits will also be something to watch out for with Daniels’s small frame can lead to some injury concerns along the way. Aside from those concerns, Daniels has plenty of upside after his latest and most impressive season. Washington fans will be excited to see their new backfield next season with Austin Ekeler being brought in through free agency and Jayden Daniels through the draft.

No. 3 (New England Patriots): Drake Maye

New England continued the theme of making big changes to the organization this year as they drafted Drake Maye, who they hope will be the franchise quarterback for many years to come. After two very successful seasons at North Carolina with 4,321 passing yards with 38 touchdowns in 2022 and 3,608 yards with 24 touchdowns in his latest season, Maye seems to be the perfect fit for the Patriots. Standing at 6 feet 4 inches and weighing in at 230 pounds, Maye has drawn a lot of comparisons to Josh Allen, with the ability to beat defenses with his scrambling and elite arm strength. With many holes to fill on the Patriots roster, Maye will have plenty of time to develop into a great player while they bring in more talent around him. After the last couple years of disappointment at the quarterback position, Patriots fans will have plenty to look forward to as they watch Drake Maye develop.

No. 4 (Arizona Cardinals): Marvin Harrison Jr.

The Cardinals decided to take an elite weapon in the draft this year and were the first team to pick a non-quarterback with the selection of Marvin Harrison Jr., the top receiver out of Ohio State and the son of hall of fame receiver Marvin Harrison. It was not a surprise as Harrison was the first receiver selected as he took the college football world by storm for his past two seasons and wowed many NFL scouts when he participated in C.J. Stroud’s pro day at Ohio State. Standing at 6 feet 4 inches, Harrison creates great mismatches against many defensive backs with his height, blazing speed and elite route running ability. Overall, Harrison is a great fit for the Cardinals as he fills a much-needed hole in the wide receiver room and will be Kyler Murray’s new lead target to work with.

No. 5 (Los Angeles Chargers): Joe Alt

The Chargers answered many questions that fans had in whether they would prioritize protection for Justin Herbert or rebuild their wide receiver room as they drafted Joe Alt, the big left tackle out of Notre Dame, with the fifth overall pick. Even though it might not have been the most exciting pick, the Chargers hope that Alt will be their left tackle for many years to come and help lead an offensive line that has been lackluster in Justin Herbert’s time there. The move to bolster up the line is very on brand for Jim Harbaugh, their new head coach, as he recently won the College Football National Championship after building the team with a very similar strategy. At the end of the day, Alt is a great pickup for the Chargers and could make a huge impact for many years to come.

No. 6 (New York Giants): Malik Nabers

Even with some questions with whether the Giants would move to replace Daniel Jones at the quarterback position with one of the top quarterbacks in the draft, New York ended up giving Jones some much needed receiving help with Malik Nabers, the standout receiver out of Louisiana State University. Nabers gained a lot of attention after his 2023 season as he went for over 1,000 receiving yards and 14 touchdowns. Nabers is great in the yards after catch department as he turns small passes into big gains with his explosiveness and ability to make defenders miss. He has also drawn comparisons to DJ Moore throughout the draft process with his ability to create extra opportunities. With how much talent and potential he has, many Giants fans will be excited to see their newest receiver develop as the number one weapon in the passing game.

No. 7 (Tennessee Titans): JC Latham

It wasn’t much of a surprise for many Titans fans as they drafted JC Latham, the right tackle out of Alabama, to improve on their offensive line. Standing at 6 feet 6 inches and 360 pounds, Latham is yet another great lineman out of the Alabama program and will hope to take on a key role for the offense as he switches from right to left tackle. After drafting Peter Skoronski at guard with their first round pick last year and signing Lloyd Cushenberry at center, the Titans hope to have a very dominant left side of the offensive line for plenty of years to come.

No. 8 (Atlanta Falcons): Michael Penix Jr.

The Falcons were one of the main highlights in this year’s draft as they shocked everybody with the selection of Penix, the quarterback that led Washington all the way to the National Championship against Michigan. This pick was a head-scratcher for many after Atlanta filled their need in the quarterback position earlier in the offseason with the signing of Kirk Cousins, the veteran quarterback that found most of his success in his latest seasons with the Vikings before tearing his Achilles in the 2023 season. Penix stood out in his latest season with Washington as he passed for almost 5,000 yards and 36 touchdowns and led a very pass heavy offense to the National Championship. Due to Penix spending six seasons playing college ball, many are concerned about how old he will be by the time that Kirk Cousins’s contract expires. Even with how well he performed in his last season, Atlanta could have done better by drafting a player that will help them this season.

No. 9 (Chicago Bears): Rome Odunze

The Bears continued to bring in firepower to their offense as they drafted Rome Odunze, the lead receiver out of last year’s team that went to the National Championship. Odunze led the NCAAF in receiving yards with over 1,600 yards and caught 13 touchdowns along the way. Odunze shows plenty of promise after receiving over 1,000 yards in each of his last two seasons as the lead receiver. Odunze will enter a very good receiving room in Chicago with veteran stars like Keenan Allen and DJ Moore. This pick topped off a very good first round for the Bears and will leave many of their fans excited to see how well their new offense will perform in the upcoming season.

No. 10 (Minnesota Vikings): J.J. McCarthy

It wasn’t a surprise for many people as the Vikings traded up in the draft to take one of the top quarterbacks in this year’s draft class. Even though McCarthy didn’t stand out in the statistical department, his draft stock shot up after winning the National Championship with Michigan last season. His composure and ability to lead the offense in clutch moments were some of the traits that stood out to most scouts. McCarthy will attempt to fill in the shoes of Kirk Cousins, the veteran quarterback who led the Minnesota offense to plenty of wins before he left in free agency to sign with the Atlanta Falcons. He will also have some good talent around him with Justin Jefferson, arguably the best receiver in the league, as his lead target. With how little he stood out compared to some of the other top-rated quarterbacks around him, it will be interesting to see if McCarthy can lead Minnesota to any more success than they have had recently.

No. 11 (New York Jets): Olu Fashanu

After it stood out to many of how much help they needed on their offensive line, the Jets picked up Olu Fashanu, the talented offensive tackle out of Penn State, with the 11th overall pick in the draft. Fashanu stood out in his time with Penn State as he was a First Team All-American and was the Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year. He will step into a very important spot in his rookie year as he will be protecting the blindside of the veteran quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who created a lot of hype for the Jets before tearing his Achilles last season. Overall, the decision to take Fashanu with their first-round pick was definitely a good move for the Jets as they hope to bounce back from their disappointing 2023 season.

No. 12 (Denver Broncos): Bo Nix

Denver made another interesting selection as they picked Bo Nix, the quarterback out of Oregon, with the 12th overall pick. Nix had his most impressive season in his fifth year as he led a very explosive Oregon offense with 4,508 passing yards and 45 touchdowns. He will have a good chance to play in his rookie year as he will join the Denver quarterback room that had Zach Wilson as the best option before the draft. Nix shows some potential to perform well in the NFL as most of his success came from throwing the ball instead of relying on running the ball. Even though he stood out in his latest season with Oregon, the Broncos could have probably waited or traded back to get more talent on the roster before they took Nix with the 12th pick.

No. 13 (Las Vegas Raiders): Brock Bowers

The Raiders also surprised many as they selected Brock Bowers, the talented tight end out of Georgia, with the 13th pick. It was a surprise to see Las Vegas draft another tight end after Michael Mayer’s success in 2023 as a rookie. However, Bowers shows potential to be one of the biggest receiving threats in the NFL at the tight end position. Bowers was a great receiving threat in his three years with Georgia as he was a key piece in that offense that won back-to-back National Championships in 2021 and 2022. Even though many people questioned their decision to select Bowers, he can turn out to be a huge receiving threat on the Raiders offense for many years to come.

No. 14 (New Orleans Saints): Taliese Fuaga

The Saints opted to bolster their offensive line as they selected Taliese Fuaga, the left tackle out of Oregon State, with the 14th pick. Fuaga was First-Team All-Pac-12 Conference in 2023 in his final year with Oregon State. The Saints hope that Fuaga can be a key piece in pass protection for Derek Carr as they will try to bounce back from their disappointing season in 2023.

No.15 (Indianapolis Colts): Laiatu Latu

After surprising many with their successful season in 2023 that almost landed them in the playoffs, the Colts decided to add help to their defense with the selection of Laiatu Latu, the talented edge rusher out of University of California, Los Angeles. Latu was impressive in his 2023 campaign as he was a force on their defensive line and racked up 13 sacks to end the year. This was a very good pick for the Colts as they were able to add some much-needed help to their young roster as they continue their rebuilding process.

No. 16 (Seattle Seahawks): Byron Murphy

The Seahawks continued their work from their last couple drafts at creating a dominating young defense as they drafted Byron Murphy, the physical defensive tackle out of Texas. Murphy is a very versatile defensive lineman as he played at many different spots on the Texas defensive line and showed good pass rushing ability along with his ability to stop the run. Seattle will hope that Murphy will have as much success as some of their other up and coming stars on their defense as of late. With these latest picks, it looks like the Seahawks are attempting a model much like their “Legion of Boom” days.

No. 17 (Minnesota Vikings): Dallas Turner

The Vikings continued the run of defensive players being drafted in the middle of the first round with their selection of Dallas Turner, the talented edge rusher out of Alabama. Turner stood out in his 2023 season with Alabama as he was named the Southeastern Conference (SEC) co-Defensive Player of the Year while becoming an All American and was First Team All-SEC. He also displays great speed and explosiveness off the line while showing that he needs a little work on his ability to shed blocks. Turner seems to be a great fit for the Minnesota defense as they hope that he can develop into an elite pass rusher off the edge for the future.

No. 18 (Cincinnati Bengals): Amarius Mims

The Bengals decided to provide some extra protection as Joe Burrow returns from his season ending injury in 2023 with the selection of Amarius Mims, the big offensive tackle out of Georgia. Mims has brought a lot of attention to his potential after only starting eight games in his college career before shooting up to a first-round pick. Standing at 6 feet 7 inches and 340 pounds, was a force in his short sample size of games and made many showed the potential of playing the same way in the NFL. Bengals head coach Zac Taylor said that they plan to use Mims at both left and right tackle for the time being. Overall, this looks like a great pick for Cincinnati as they hope to give Joe Burrow the time he needs in the pocket.

No. 19 (Los Angeles Rams): Jared Verse

In the wake of Aaron Donald’s announcement of his decision to retire, the Rams decided to fill some of that talent lost on the defensive line with their selection of Jared Verse, the key player on Florida State’s defensive line in 2023. Even after his season in 2022, many experts thought that he could’ve gone in the first round of the last draft along with names like Will Anderson and Tyree Wilson. In 2023, Verse led the Seminole defensive line in their undefeated season and racked up nine sacks in the process. He also displays great explosiveness off the line with good pass rushing moves off the edge. Even though Verse can be a great player on the defensive line, the Rams will definitely not be as good as years before after the loss of Aaron Donald.

No. 20 (Pittsburgh Steelers): Troy Fautanu

After making some big changes to the team in the offseason, Pittsburgh added even more talent to their offense as they drafted Troy Fautanu, the left tackle out of Washington. Even though he was a pivotal piece in Washington’s National Championship run in 2023, Pittsburgh has said they plan to move Broderick Jones back to left tackle and place Troy Fautanu at right tackle. Overall, Pittsburgh was able to add even more talent to their pass protection for the quarterback room that includes Russell Wilson and Justin Fields.

No. 21 (Miami Dolphins): Chop Robinson

After their impressive 2023 season, the Dolphins decided to add more talent to their defense with Chop Robinson, the edge rusher out of Penn State. Robinson is yet another talented pass rusher out of Penn State along names like Micah Parsons and Odafe Oweh. Even though he didn’t have the most impressive stats from his 10 games in 2023, Robinson has one of the highest pass rush win rates and has one of the highest ceilings in the draft class. After an impressive offensive output and mediocre defense in 2023, it was a good move by the Dolphins to look at building a better defensive line.

No.22 (Philadelphia Eagles): Quinyon Mitchell

After having some of the most success in recent years with offseason moves and successful draft picks, the Eagles look like they have continued that theme as they selected Quinyon Mitchell, the top corner out of Toledo. Mitchell surprised many scouts after his appearance in the Senior Bowl and earned the Defensive Player of the Week Award. Mitchell is also a great fit for this Eagles team that will try to make another Super Bowl push as he will enter a cornerback room that includes Darius Slay and James Bradberry. After Bradberry took a step back in 2023, Mitchell was a great selection for the Eagles and could be part of a very successful team in 2024.

No. 23 (Jacksonville Jaguars): Brian Thomas Jr.

After a step back from their promising 2022 season, the Jaguars struggled in 2023 with one of the biggest problems being the offensive production. After the departure of Calvin Ridley, Jacksonville decided to fill that hole in the receiver room with Brian Thomas Jr., the second receiver taken in the first round out of Louisiana State University. Alongside Malik Nabers, Thomas led the Football Bowl Subdivision in receiving touchdowns with 17 and went for over 1,100 receiving yards in 2023 which was capped by becoming an All-American and All-SEC selection. Thomas will look to become a key target for Trevor Lawrence in the passing scheme on a very young team.

No. 24 (Detroit Lions): Terrion Arnold

Following their very successful season in 2023 that led the Lions to their second ever appearance in the National Football Conference (NFC) Championship, the Lions traded into the first round to select Terrion Arnold, the cornerback out of Alabama. Arnold is a great athlete that played both safety and cornerback in his time at Alabama while attempting to play multiple sports as well. Arnold was impressive in his 2023 campaign as he racked up five interceptions on a star-studded defense. He will also join a good Lions defensive system with plenty of young talent on the roster that has continued to improve in recent years. Overall, Lions fans should be happy with this first round selection and hope that the Lions continue to improve with their young defensive stars.

No. 25 (Green Bay Packers): Jordan Morgan

After the Packers released their long-time star left tackle David Bakhtiari, the Packers brought in Jordan Morgan, the left tackle out of Arizona, with their first-round pick. After a devastating ACL tear in 2022, Morgan returned better than ever in his 2023 campaign as he earned first team All-Pac-12 honors and got a Senior Bowl invitation. The Packers hop that Morgan will be the answer for the future at the left tackle position for their new franchise quarterback Jordan Love.

No. 26 (Tampa Bay Buccaneers): Graham Barton

After the retirement of their longtime star center Ryan Jensen, the Buccaneers decided to fill that hole with their first-round pick as they selected Graham Barton, the talented center out of Duke. One of the biggest traits scouts see with Barton is his quickness and explosiveness off the snap that generates a lot of power on the line. Barton will join a Buccaneers team that won the NFC South in 2023 and will hope to continue that success as they extended Baker Mayfield to a longer deal.

No. 27 (Arizona Cardinals): Darius Robinson

The Cardinals filled out yet another hole on their rebuilding roster with their second pick in the first round as they selected Darius Robinson, the young edge rusher out of Missouri. Robinson is coming off of a very successful season in 2023 where he ended up with seven and a half sacks and a forced fumble that led him to a First Team-All-SEC Selection. Robinson will hope to make an impact off the jump with this Cardinals team that has plenty of holes to fill all around the roster.

No. 28 (Kansas City Chiefs): Xavier Worthy

Coming off of another Super Bowl winning year, the Chiefs traded up with the Bills in the late part of the first round to pick another weapon for Patrick Mahomes to throw to with Xavier Worthy, the speedy receiver out of Texas. Worthy displays blazing speed as he beat the 40-yard dash combine record with a 4.21 time. The Chiefs hope that he will fill the role that Tyreek Hill had before leaving for the Dolphins and create great chemistry with Mahomes and their explosive offensive scheme. Overall, Xavier Worthy can prove to be a dominant weapon for the Chiefs offense for many years to come.

No. 29 (Dallas Cowboys): Tyler Guyton

After a very quiet offseason, the Cowboys decided to fill in a hole at the offensive tackle position as they selected Tyler Guyton, the tackle out of Oklahoma that will move to left tackle with the Cowboys in 2024. Guyton showed plenty of promise in his time with Oklahoma as he displayed great strength and size that can transfer to his time in the NFL. The Cowboys hope that Guyton will be a great force on their offensive line that will hope to keep their offensive production up.

No. 30 (Baltimore Ravens): Nate Wiggins

After their dominant season in 2023 and loud offseason additions going into 2024, the Ravens selected Nate Wiggins, the cornerback out of Clemson. Wiggins was incredible in 2022 and stood out as an All-ACC performer in 2023 while battling an ankle injury that limited some of his play time. Wiggins will join a powerful Ravens defense and will hope to follow the paths of some of the other talented young players in the Baltimore secondary.

No. 31 (San Francisco 49ers): Ricky Pearsall

Amidst some of the rumors of the 49ers potentially having to part ways with Brandon Aiyuk due to their little cap room left with all the talent on their roster, they selected Ricky Pearsall, the talented receiver out of Florida. Pearsall displayed great route running and athleticism in his time with Florida and seems like he can be a great fit in the 49ers offensive scheme. Pearsall will hope to go with the 49ers on a long run in 2024 as he will join a great offensive room with some of the best players in the league.

No. 32 (Carolina Panthers): Xavier Legette

After a disappointing season in 2023 that proved there was plenty of work to be done in the receiver room for Bryce Young, the Panthers decided to select Xavier Legette, the wide receiver out of South Carolina with their first-round pick. Legette broke out in his 2023 season at Soutth Carolina as he broke 1,000 receiving yards and caught seven touchdowns along the way, The Panthers hope that Legette can answer some of the problems they had in the receiver room last season that can give more help for Bryce Young under center.