Q + A: English teacher DeEtte Burton

Ellie Fisher

DeEtte Burton takes attendance before she begins her lesson

Ellie Fisher, Staff Reporter

DeEtte Burton is an English teacher who cares most about her family and knows the true meaning of learning. Burton loves the magical world of Harry Potter and enjoys reading whenever she has the time for it. Becoming a teacher was a goal for her because helping students brings her joy.

What is your favorite movie? “‘Harry Potter’ because it is very symbolic. It was directed really well too.”

What do you love most about your job? “I like working with the students because I like to help people.”

What is the most difficult part about your job? “Dealing with students that do not want to learn because I know in their minds they do not care about school at all. When I think about that it upsets me.”

What is the strangest job you have ever had? “Working in a drive-in movie theater in Tracy a long time ago because it is very unique and uncommon job.”

What is the best advice you have ever received? “Make your decisions based on what you are interested in. I have gotten that advice from all my close friends and family multiple times.”

If you could change something about education what would it be? “I would work on changing class size so teachers have time to work individually with students.”

Do you have a bucket list? What are some things on it? “I would like to go to New England states for fall because I heard that the scenery is very beautiful.”

Where did you go to college? Did you like it? “I went to University of California Davis because it was very academically rigorous with great professors.”

What motivates you? “I like to study and research, so that makes me want to learn more and be a better teacher.”

What makes you happy? “My three kids Breanna, Kayla, and Kyle. My two dogs Obi, who is a black lab, and Selene, who is a border collie, make me happy also. My family is really important to me.”

What is your favorite food? “When I used to live with my parents, my mother would make these spicy tacos every Monday. Ever since then they have been my ultimate favorite”

Do you have any hobbies? “ I love to read on my own time! My favorite read is definitely the Harry Potter series, but other than that      I like to read murder mysteries and historical fiction.”

What is your favorite animal? I like dolphins because they are very intelligent creatures and are playful in the wild.