Q + A: Science teacher Sally Hutsell

Sally+Hutsell+helps+a+student+with+an+assignment.+

Katie Vogt

Sally Hutsell helps a student with an assignment.

Katie Vogt, Staff Reporter

Although Sally Hutsell originally planned to work as a national park ranger, she loves her job as a science teacher. She loves connecting with kids and nature, so being a science teacher is a perfect way to express her passion.

What do you love most about your job? “I really love the subject that I teach. I love all of the students and the new challenges. It’s always an interesting job.”
What is the most difficult part about your job? “What really is difficult for my about this job is all the extraneous stuff the district makes us do. I wish I could just be put into a room to teach.”
What did you want to be when you were a kid? “I wanted to work as a park ranger, and I majored in it to work in national parks. There were more applications than jobs available, so I decided to become a teacher.”
What is the best trip you’ve taken? “I got to live in England for a year. I traveled around the country and I loved it. I also got to go to Norway.”
What motivates you? I’m motivated by my faith in God. I want to live a life that’s pleasing to Him.”
If you weren’t doing what you’re doing now, what would you be doing? “I watch a lot of crime shows on television, so I would probably be a forensic scientist.”
If you could have something for your classroom, what would it be? “I would like to have a class set of iPads because there are so many science applications available. It would definitely be a great thing to have.”
What is your dream vacation? “I would love to go back in time and travel on the Orient Express because it was so high fashioned and luxurious. It still runs today, but I’d like to go back in time to travel on it.”
What makes you happy? “There are a lot of things that make me happy, so it’s hard to choose. My husband and my job really make me happy.”

Sally Hutsell, Science teacher
Sally Hutsell, Science teacher