Q + A: Counselor Susan Rosales

Susan Rosales works in her office.

Jazmine Vining

Susan Rosales works in her office.

Jazmine Vining, Staff Reporter

Tracy High counselor Susan Rosales loves working with young people of all ages. She loves to helps adolescent get on the right path for their future. She has always wanted to be a high school counselor.

What do you love about your job? “I love working with young people of all ages.”

What is the most difficult part about your job? “Not having enough time in the day to spend time as I would like with my students. We get called to meeting or supervise different school events that take time away from having as much time with the kids”

Have you always wanted to be a guidance counselor? “I always knew I wanted to be a counselor. If it wasn’t for my high school counselor, I would never have gone to college to pursue my career.”

Did you have a favorite teacher in high school? “Mrs. Ricketts was my favorite. She taught psychology and was involved in my peer mentoring class.”

What are your current goals? “My current goals are to get to know as many students as I can, and support them with their future decisions.”

Where did you go to college? “I went to Delta College for two years then transferred to CSU Sacramento and got my bachelor’s degree, and later I went to National University where I got my master’s degree.”

What makes you happy? “Spending time with my family and husband, and knowing that I can help students choose the right path for their careers.”

What did you love most about high school? “High school for me was a so-so experience; I didn’t take it seriously until my senior year. I wish I had taken advantage of the time to become involved in activities and sports.”

What is the best thing about being a counselor at Tracy High? “The best thing is working with students no matter what the situation is. Even if a student is just having a bad day, it’s a great feeling being able to talk with them and help them.”

What are your hobbies? “I love going to the gym. I love going to different local events with my husband. I love visiting with friends and family, and visiting college friends I haven’t seen in a long time. We love riding bikes and taking day trips to Monterey and riding our bikes on the Sacramento Bike Trail.”

If you had the chance to go back and change your career would you? “I wouldn’t change my career because it’s what I have always wanted to do, but I would go back and push myself harder to do better in high school and go straight to a four- year college right after high school.”