Q + A: Agricultural Science teacher Laura Kelley

Agricultural science teacher Laura Kelley displays a presentation for her wildlife class.

Blake Lazar

Blake Lazar, Associate Editor

Raised in Oklahoma, it was an easy choice for Agricultural-Science Teacher Laura Kelley to accept the position teaching in the Ag-Science Academy at Tracy High. She enjoys spending time with her family most, and her idea of a perfect day is one she can spend with her husband and two daughters.

What do you love most about your job? “Seeing my students succeed, that ‘Aha!’ moment is always a joy to see.”

What is the most difficult part? “When a smart kid does not want to try, or has no motivation. It always bugs me to see someone with so much potential sit there uninterested.”

Where did you attend school? “I went to Kiowa High School in Oklahoma, and went to college at Oklahoma State University. College was fantastic, but high school memories are unforgettable.”

What are your favorite foods? “Anything Mexican. No dish or restaurant in particular, all Mexican food I love. It differs so much from any other type of cooking.”

Do you have any hobbies? “Scrapbooking is definitely something I enjoy, along with reading. I am always with my amazing daughters, so when I have time for my hobbies, it’s relaxing.”

What do you appreciate most about the Ag-Science program? “It gives experiences to kids such as dealing with animals and seeing wildlife. I grew up on a ranch, so to share what I had, with kids who may live in a suburban neighborhood, gives them a small taste of living in the country.”

Do you have a favorite TV show? “I enjoyed ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ a lot, but my favorite show right now would have to be ‘Scandal’. It’s very suspenseful.”

What is the best trip you have taken? “I have been so many places, but my trips to Disneyland with my girls are unforgettable. They are seven and ten, and we have gone five times so far.”

What do you hope to teach your students this year? “About life in general. We all need to appreciate every moment given to us.”

What was your first car? “I had a 1993 Ford F-150 pickup truck. Nothing said Oklahoma more than that truck.”

Laura Kelley, agricultural science teacher