Girls’ Treat intrigues students with candy-themed dance

Chris Coykendall

Girl’s Treat dance in the cafeteria.

Chris Coykendall, Staff Reporter

Tracy High’s Girls Treat was a night to remember for many students. The Candyland themed dance was held in the cafeteria on Nov. 16.

Many students went out to dinner before going to the dance. Students took party buses and limos with groups of students or took their own cars. Popular places to go before the dance included Pier 39, Santana Row, Old Town Sacramento, and Santa Cruz.

“My party bus went to Old Town Sacramento,” senior Noah Martinez said. “We ate at Fat City.”

Although the dance started at 9 p.m, students had to be at the dance before 11 p.m. in order get in. This allowed time for students that went to dinner before to make it back in time to attend the dance.

The cafeteria had a complete makeover. Black drapes were hung from the ceiling to separate the dance from the rest of the cafeteria. Different shapes of candy in colorful wrapping were also hung from the ceiling. The assortment of cookies and candy were all decorated and so were the tables.

“When I first walked in, I noticed the candy hanging from the ceiling,” freshman Destiny Sandridge said. “There were also tables of different cookies, cupcakes, and candies.”

DJ Chad brought excitement to the dance with music, lights, boxes for students to dance on, and a smoke machine.

“The DJ was playing a lot of songs I like dancing to,” junior Jessica Villela said. “He also had cubes that would light up in the middle of the dance floor that we could also dance on.”

A photo booth was also set up for students that wanted to take photos.

“The photo booth was cool,” senior Daesha Brown said. “There was a bunch of props to take pictures with and the photo strip came out instantly.”

The dance stayed with the candy land theme with many sweets available for the students. Cookies were available and varied from chocolate and peanut butter cookies with chocolate drizzle on top, pink frosting cookies with pink sprinkles, caramel crunch cookies, and snicker-doodle cookies. More than 600 mini-cupcakes were there to choose from and candies ranged from suckers, chocolates, taffy, Skittles, M&M’s and many others.

“I ate a lot of the chocolate peanut butter cookies,” sophomore Gavin Bean said. “They were the best there.”