McDonald’s opening impacts students at Tracy High

McDonalds customers wait in line to order meals.

McDonald’s customers wait in line to order meals.

Taylor Mellick, Staff Reporter

With the new McDonald’s open across the street from Tracy High, many students are standing in lines out the door to get a new option for food. Juniors and seniors now have more range of variety than only pizza and burritos.

“The new option at lunch is good,” junior Averie Ramirez said. “It is convenient and nice to be able to have a new style of food.”

McDonald’s menu also brings a better budget for students. They can choose from a large menu including the dollar menu. The extra space in booths and highchair counters will provide more space for students who want to get out of the cold weather of winter and also just want to sit and eat with friends.

“I think people will go there because it is cheaper,” Ramirez said. “There are also more places for people to sit per table compared to the small tables at La Costa.”

Already, many people have raced across to try to be first in line, and nobody sees the pace slowing down any time soon. The food comes out fast and it allows students to have more time to return to the campus to eat with friends.

“I have gone to McDonald’s more than I have gone to La Costa or Little Caesars,” junior Austin Meyer said. “I like to sit with my friends afterward and just eat.”

Though, with all of the positives about the McDonald’s opening, there is a downside: lots of trash on campus. It seems to be piling up and noticed by students that the trash flying around in the breeze is mainly McDonald’s bags and cups.

“I have seen trash blowing around campus since the opening of the restaurant,” Meyer said. “The most simple solution I can think of would be to pick it up if you see it.”

Possibly the greatest impact for many students in the opening of the restaurant is breakfast in the morning. Students have a short walk to pick up breakfast rather than having to wait until lunch to eat a meal.

“I have already gone to get breakfast a couple times now,” Ramirez said. “I certainly go whenever I can.”

Averie Ramirez, junior
Averie Ramirez, junior