Q + A: Science teacher Dean Reese

Dean Reese checks a students work.

Dean Reese checks a student’s work.

Katie Vogt, Staff Reporter

Although Dean Reese could use a few extra hours in the day, he enjoys his job as a science teacher. Reese would like to be able to freeze time to get important work finished, but when he does have free time he loves to spend it with his family.

What are your current goals? “Right now I’m working on my National Board Certification. It’s a certification for teachers to help them grow professionally and to be more effective.”

What do you think is the best thing that teens can do to prepare for their future? “They should really apply themselves; do science fair, join a club, join leadership. They should plan for each year of high school and what they want to accomplish.”

What do you love most about your job? “I love finding ways to provide opportunities for them. I love seeing them grow and challenge themselves and surprising themselves with what they can accomplish.”

Where did you attend high school and college? “I went to Apponequet Regional High School in Lakeville, Massachusetts. It was okay, but I was really unmotivated in high school. For college, I went to University of Massachusetts at Amherst and it was amazing. It was filled with bright young people learning what they are passionate about.”

What is the best trip you’ve taken? “I would have to say my trip to Maui with my wife because Hawaii is a paradise on Earth.”

What do you like to do in your free time? “I love to spent time with my family, go to museums, day trips to Yosemite, and go camping.”

If you could have something for your classroom, what would it be? “I would like 16 new laptops that connect to Wi-Fi. Access to technology is powerful; with the laptops we could do presentations, research, and hook up the probes.”

What is the most difficult part about your job? “It is very time demanding. I could really use an extra six hours in the whole day to accomplish everything. It’s difficult because I have to balance time with students and family.”

If you could have any super power, what would it be? “It would be to freeze time. If I could freeze time, I could accomplish everything in a single day. Also you could take naps whenever you need.”

What makes you happy? “My two daughters, Dara and Avaiana, make me happy.”

Dean Reese, Science teacher
Dean Reese, Science teacher