Tracy loses to Jesuit in second round of section playoffs

Damon Stroup looks to complete the play against Jesuit.

Wayne Thallander

Haleigh Vinyard, Staff Reporter

The Tracy High football season came to a close with a loss to Jesuit ,49-28, in the second round of Sac-Joaquin Section playoffs on Nov. 22.  Jesuit lost in the next round to eventual section champion Folsom, 42-35. Tracy’s overall record was 10-2.

Tracy defeated Edison of Stockton, 56-14, in the first round of playoffs on Nov. 15.

“What really hurt us against Jesuit was that we did not make some big plays that we should have made,” head coach Matt Shrout said, “and that really hurt us in the end.”

Shrout believes that the team played well in both games, but when Jesuit ran back a kick off, it really hurt the team.

The game against Jesuit was close during the first half, but in the second half Jesuit used their multiple offensive options to keep Tracy confused.

In the first half Brandon Russell blocked a punt and jumped on the ball on Jesuit’s six yard line. Later Nathaniel Jones scored for a two-yard touchdown.

Jesuit then had a 74-yard drive, then a 12-yard touchdown run.

In the second quarter, Tracy had a 69-yard drive that included a 42-yard run for Jones and 21-yard touchdown for run for Chaz Briggs.

Right after the touchdown, Jesuit scored on a 95-yard kickoff return that hurt Tracy badly.

Second half started with a 91-yard kickoff return by Jones which set the score to 21-21.

Jesuit responded with a 57-yard and a 76-yard touchdown drive.

The game ended with Tracy having 247 yards on offense.

The San Joaquin Athletic Association (SJAA) awards are decided by the league’s coaches. As head coach Shrout can nominate his players, but he cannot vote for them.

Jones was named the league’s most valuable player and Anthony Nunez was selected as the league’s top punter.

Jones, a junior, plays fullback and linebacker. Although happy to receive the award, Jones does not believe in individual awards.

“I do not believe in in individual awards,” Jones said, “it is more about the team than one player.”

Jones is sad that the season is over, but his favorite memory is just hanging out with the team.

“I am sad it ended because we know we would never be on a team like that again,” Jones said.

Tracy High players who received awards for first team All-League offense are: Nathan Brown (offensive lineman), Clayton Fegett (offensive lineman), Jason Nelson (running back), and Damon Stroup (quarterback).

Tracy High players who received awards for first team All-League defense include: Jacob Alvarado (defensive back), Chaz Briggs (inside linebacker), George Obinna (defensive line), Luke Pulliam (defensive back), Brandon Russell (outside linebacker), and Jet Torres (outside linebacker).

Honorable mentions are: William Alexander (defensive back), Cameron Divoky (kicker), Donvoan Haro (linebacker), Eric Hawkins (running back), Christopher Mahar (linebacker), and Alex Warner (defensive lineman).

Brown, a junior, was glad to receive first team All-League offense for offensive line.

“I told my mom when I found out,” Brown said. “She was more excited than me.”

Brown plans to work harder next year to receive Offensive Lineman of the Year honor.

“I am glad I received it, but I wanted Offensive Lineman of the Year,” Brown said. “Next year, I will work harder to receive it.”

Pulliam, a senior, received first team All-League defense for defensive back for a second year in a row. Although honored again with this award, he did not reach his ultimate goal.

“I received it last year, so my goal was to receive it again,” Pulliam said, “but I am disappointed that I did not get Defensive Back of the Year.”

Pulliam is planning on continuing his football career in college, yet is sad that this season is over.

“I am sad because I am going to miss my team, it was a real family,” Pulliam said. “I am also going to miss playing for my high school.”