Students gain leadership experience by serving as counselors at science camp

Allison Beteta

Junior John Sullivan with campers at the beach.

Luke Pulliam, Sports Editor

One of the most memorable times from middle school is going to science camp. Some students at Tracy High wanted to re-live their experience and help enhance the experience for other sixth graders.

Junior Calei Akers recently served as a cabin leader for Camp Jones Gulch, a science camp in La Honda from Dec. 2-6. Akers was responsible for a group of nine students from Lammersville Elementary School and Questa Elementary School. He felt his personality traits fit perfect for the job of a cabin leader.

“The main reason I wanted to go is that I just really like kids,” Akers said. “I have a lot of patience when it comes to people, and I like to take charge and lead so I thought being a cabin leader would be a really good job for me.”

Akers had much different experience as a cabin leader than as a student at the camp.

“When I was a sixth grader at science camp I really didn’t have to worry about anything, I just had to follow everyone else,” Akers said. “As a cabin leader I had a much more difficult job and responsibilities.”

Akers listed some of his responsibilities as making sure his cabin was participating, getting up on time, taking showers on time, getting dressed accordingly, behaving, and keeping the cabin clean and organized.

“We tried to get the kids interested and involved in everything we did,” Akers said. “I would ask the kids questions like, ‘What does this remind you of?’ ”

This experience taught him how to be a better leader.

“You have to be responsible, patient, and organized,” Akers said. “I learned to not get angry too easily, and that I was not there to be their buddy, I was there to be their leader.”

Junior Allison Beteta, junior Tyler Diaz, junior Allison Fort, junior Kyle Hewitt, junior Amber Lukenbeal, junior Natasha Potts, junior Christian Shay, junior John Sullivan, senior Anthony Tucker, and senior Emily Wedel also served as cabin leaders.

Senior Austin Bishop will be a cabin leader for a camp from Jan. 6-10. Bishop signed up because he thinks it will be a fun experience.

“I thought I would take this opportunity and reminisce on science camp and help the kids out,” Bishop said. “I just thought it would be a fun experience all around.”

His experience from going as a sixth grader influenced him in making the decision to go.

“I liked the hikes, nicknames, and awards from sixth grade, and I am excited to get to do that again with other kids,” Bishop said. “I also want to see what it was like being a sixth grader again.”

Five males and five females will be going on the January trip: Senior Frank Abriz, Bishop, senior Javier Cebrian, senior Mikaela Cole, senior Josh Duran, senior Sarah Jessee, junior Leana Martinez, senior Katherine McCarthy, junior Lauren Perry, junior Evan Savage, and senior Katrina Williams. Students were selected on a first come, first serve basis. The students had to turn in paperwork to Biology and Human Physiology teacher, Ellen Raco.

“There were no requirements besides the extracurricular activity requirement by the district,” Raco said.