Tracy High celebrates Heroes’ week

Ellie+Fisher+poses+with+one+of+the+Hero+posters+in+the+A+building.+

Ellie Fisher poses with one of the Hero posters in the A building.

Maxine Almendra, Staff Reporter

Tracy High school celebrated Heroes’ Week during the week of Jan. 6-10. Heroes’ Week is meant to celebrate the everyday heroes who inspire us and improve society.

Tracy High leadership even made it a point to recognize our heroes and display them on various social networking sites by placing “#thswhosyourhero” on posts. Several students on Instagram and Twitter placed that hashtag on pictures of their favorite heroes. Green “Be the Hero” bracelets were handed out to the English classes as giveaways for this week.

There are also several inspirational hero posters placed around the school halls. One of the posters quotes Brodi Ashton and states, “Heroes are made by the paths they choose, not by the powers they are graced with.”

Several Tracy High students named their parents as their heroes.

“My mom is my hero because she has a lot of heroic characteristics,” senior Brandon Tan said. “I think that a hero is someone who is selfless and cares about others well-being.”

Senior Minyon Spencer also believes that her parents are her heroes.

“My parents are my heroes because they put me and my siblings first. Heroes are supportive and they’re just amazing people,” Spencer said.

Everyone has a different definition of what makes a hero.

“A hero is someone who never gives up no matter what strikes them, always is motivated, and never stops until they have accomplished their goals,” senior Arielle Tabar said.

Junior Clayton Walker has a very unique hero: his skateboard.

“My skateboard is my hero because it’s taught me to never give up. If I want to land a trick, it’s forced me to keep trying until I land it,” Walker said.

The district is requiring all students to write an essay about who their hero is and what it takes to be a hero. Students have mixed feelings about having to write an essay for Heroes’ week.

“We already wrote an essay about what makes a hero at the beginning of the year. So it’s a bit repetitive, but I know it’s for a good reason,” Tania Torres said.

On Thursday of Heroes’ Week Tracy High held a Hero Rally in the main gym. The rally consisted of fun games, spirit karaoke, and a performance from the dance team. The highlight of this rally was the slideshow of the various “#thswhosyourehero” pictures put up on the social networks during the week.

Heroes’ week is a source of great inspiration for Tracy High and helps the students appreciate the true heroes in their lives.