Q + A: English teacher Brian Musich

English teacher Brian Musich marks up a poem by Emily Dickinson.

Parnoor Khinda, Staff Reporter

Tracy High English teacher Brian Musich loves English both as a hobby and job. Musich enjoys taking day trips with his wife and two young sons. He is motivated by helping students succeed.

What are your hobbies? “I like to watch movies and write poetry when I get a chance. Also, I like to take day trips.”

What is one piece of advice that you would give to high school seniors? “Do what you love and find a way to do it. Oh yeah, and don’t smoke.”

What is your favorite type of food? “Anything that is terrible for my health. I really like Mexican food, some of my favorites include chimichangas and flautas. I enjoy going to La Villa in Tracy.”

Why did you decide to teach English? “I love the power of words. Also, I have had really awesome English teachers as a student like Mrs. Sorgent and Mrs. Lycan. They made me love English and motivated me to teach.”

What do you love most about your job? “I love being able to talk about something that is enjoyable to me and I like interacting with students.”

What is the most difficult part about your job? “The most difficult part about my job is balancing home and school life. Specifically grading at home.”

If you could change something about education, what would it be? “I would give more choices to the type of classes that you could take such as Film as Literature or Multicultural Literature. I would like to have more options for students.”

What motivates you? “Even one intriguing conversation with a student can motivate me. I feel glad to teach even if one student out of an entire class pays attention.”

What is your favorite place to go on a day trip? “My favorite place to go on a day trip is Monterrey. I like going to the Monterrey Bay Aquarium, it’s a fun place for my kids and its very beautiful.”

What super power would you like to have? “I want the power of teleportation because I love the idea of going anywhere I want without any restrictions. Also, it would be awesome to morph into other people.”