Q + A: Science teacher Delgel Pabalan

Ms. Pabalan helps freshman Deanna Cardenas with her biology homework.

Isabelle Milburn

Isabelle Milburn, Staff Reporter

Science teacher Delgel Pabalan enjoys helping students learn about the way living things work. Since last year was her first year at Tracy High, Pabalan has also enjoyed becoming a part of the Bulldog community.

What do you love most about teaching? “Forming those life-long connections with my students; I end up having kids for life!”

What is the most difficult part of your job? “Grading, dealing with parents can be a problem and dealing with students with slacker attitudes.”

Where did you go to high school? College? “I went to Pitman High School in Turlock, California, and then I went to Modesto Junior College, and then transferred to University of California Davis.”

What is the best thing about teaching at Tracy High? “I love the science department. Pretty much all of the science teachers have a great relationship with each other, and we really do work well together.”

If you could change something about education, what would it be? “The need to force kids to be in a college route: let’s face it, not all students are suited for college. I think there are some students who want and are meant for vocational learning. For me, there shouldn’t be a shame in students who don’t want to be in college, but just want a good/solid job.”

Did you always know that you wanted to be a teacher? “Not until I started working as a tutor at MJC.”

What did you want to be as you were growing up? “There were many things I wanted to be: from secretary to hairdresser to art historian . . . as I got older, wiser, and more logical (knowing my strengths and desires), I wanted to work in a laboratory doing research.”

If you weren’t a teacher now, what would you be doing? “Working in a lab being a part of some kind of research.”

What makes you happy? “Spending time and catching up with friends over some food.”

Do you have any children? “No children. I’ve been married for two and a half years.”

Do you have a bucket list? “I want to travel around the world, but first, I have to travel around America’s greatest sights.”

What is your philosophy on life? “Carpe Diem: Seize the Day!”

What drives or motivates you? “The need to not be behind on life. I don’t like lagging. I like to go forward and try something new.”

What is your favorite food? “Ice cream. I love Ube ice cream which is a Filipino ice cream, quite similar to taro ice cream.”

What is your favorite movie? Sleepless in Seattle. This is my favorite movie because it’s a very different romantic comedy. I like how they don’t meet each other until the very end of the movie.”

What would you do if you won the lottery? “I would go back to my old country, the Philippines, for a visit, then start traveling around the world.”

Where do you like to travel? “Everywhere famous and not so famous. Just where there is a beautiful sight to see.”

What’s something you like to do in your free time? “Chillax . . . because I rarely get free time.”