Q + A: Child Development teacher Emily Stroup

Students+take+notes+while+Emily+Stroup+gives+a+lecture.+

Wamil Juthani

Students take notes while Emily Stroup gives a lecture.

Wamil Juthani, Staff Reporter

Emily Stroup is a child development teacher at Tracy High School and has been working here for nine years. She loves to watch sports with her husband and three sons, Kane, Pierce, and Hudson. She enjoys going to the park, reading, and visiting other family members.

Where did you get your teaching credentials? “I went to CSU Stanislaus for my bachelor’s and I got my teaching credentials at National University, which is a private school.

What is your all-time favorite book? “The best book I have ever read is a biography called Monsters, it was very insightful and eye-opening. I like reading biographies and historical books.”

What will your students take away from your class? “I hope my students will take away a better understanding of life, wherever they go.”

What is your idea of a perfect day? “The perfect day would be me waking up with my kids and husband, relaxing, having breakfast hopefully a Sunday, have to watch the game.”

What is the best advice you’ve ever received? “My dad has always taught me that you make your own luck, and I try to live like that everyday.”

What is the best trip you’ve ever taken? “I went to Aruba for my honeymoon and fell in love with it, I could go there every single year.”

What is the best thing about being a teacher? “I love being a teacher and coming to work every day. I get to talk about child development and real life connections and how are education shapes who we are.”

What are your favorite sports teams? “I love to watch football, basketball, and baseball, the Niners, Warriors, and Giants. I have this room dedicated in my house called the Niner room.”

What is the most difficult part about being a teacher? “The most difficult part of my job is that I get attached to the students, and I want to be able to help every student that I have, make an impact on them.”

What is your favorite restaurant? “My favorite restaurant is Thai Café, I have Thai Café once every week.”

What is your go-to snack? “My all-time favorite snack is popcorn and chewy candy, I love Mike and Ike’s.”

When you were younger what did you want to be? “When I was younger, I wanted to be a nurse, I got into college with a nursing scholarship, but things happened and I felt that teaching was better.”