Q + A: History teacher Jay Fishburn

History teacher Jay Fishburn writing down the lesson plan for the day.

Averie Ramirez

Averie Ramirez, Staff Reporter

Jay Fishburn teaches World History, is the head coach for freshman football, and pole vaulting coach for track. In his free time he enjoys fishing and camping, and has traveled all around the globe thanks to his time in the military.

Where and when did you graduate high school? “At Brawley Union High School in Brawley, California. I graduated in 1986.”

What is your favorite thing about teaching history? “Every day is a new day. History is really fun, it’s not always fun, but it can be.”

Do you coach anything at Tracy High? “I coach freshman football and pole vaulting. Partly because I participated in those sports throughout high school and college.”

What do you like most about teaching high school kids? “They are never boring. They keep me young, at least at heart.”

What’s your favorite hobby? “I enjoy all types of fishing, and I love to camp up in the mountains, I love the smell of the pine trees.”

What’s your favorite childhood memory? “Christmas when I was in third grade, I got a little Honda 50.”

Have you traveled a lot? “I have been to Panama, Hungary, Mexico, and Germany just to name a few. I traveled a lot while in the military.”

What part of the military were you involved in? “I was in the infantry and the military police.”

What was the most memorable part? “In 2003-2004 on our 14 month trip to Iraq, none of my guys died. We were awarded 17 bronze stars while I was the unit commander.”

If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go? “Tahiti, I have never been and it would be a different experience.”

History teacher Jay Fishburn.
History teacher Jay Fishburn.