Tracy celebrates Hoopla week Feb. 3-7

Mr. and Ms. Bulldog candidates (Front row: Haley Jensen, Lindsie Stokes, Devra Asah, Kaeli Vierra, Ruth Alvarez Back row: Aditya Gupta, George Obinna, Clayton Fegget, Beau Mantor, Raul Lara)

Isabelle Milburn

Isabelle Milburn, Staff Reporter

Hoopla week is quickly approaching, where Tracy High has a spirit filled week celebrating basketball and wrestling. Hoopla week starts next week on Feb. 3 and will go through Feb. 7.

“It is basically a homecoming for winter sports,” Leadership teacher Alayna Carter said.

There is always a new theme each year, and the theme is “Glow Big or Go Home this year.”

“We don’t have any set characters or anything,” Associated Student Body (ASB) Treasurer Alessandra Rodriguez said. “We are having a black light rally on Monday after school at 2 p.m. in the Swenson Gym.”

With every Hoopla a Mr. and Ms. Bulldog is selected. Each year, five female and male seniors are nominated to be named Mr. and Ms. Bulldog.

“The candidates that are chosen by teacher recommendations,” Rodriguez said. “Any teacher can nominate a student.”

The candidates chosen are picked based off of certain characteristics.

“The students have to do well academically, they have a great personality, and are just generally involved with Tracy High,” Rodriguez said.

Candidates for Mr. Bulldog are: Clayton Fegget, Aditya Gupta, Raul Lara, Beau Mantor, and George Obinna. The candidates for Ms. Bulldog are: Ruth Alvarez, Devra, Asah, Haley Jensen, Lindsie Stokes, and Kaeli Vierra.

“I feel very honored that my teachers selected me to be recognized for my accomplishments inside and outside of the classroom,” Fegget said.

“It is nice to realize that all my hard work is being paid off and I am being recognized for it,” Vierra said.

Hoopla week also has different themed spirit days throughout the week.

Monday is White Out day: students should wear all white clothing. Tuesday is Neon day: wear as much neon as possible. Wednesday is Pajama day: students can wear their pajamas to school. Thursday is Jersey day: students should wear their favorite team’s jersey. Friday is Extreme Green and Gold day: students should show their school spirit by going all out and wearing as much green and gold as they can to support the boys’ basketball teams that will be playing that night.

“We have some videos made to post on Instagram, Twitter, Vine, and other social networking sites to remind everyone of the spirit days,” Rodriguez said.

After the varsity boys’ basketball game on Friday night, there will be a dance in the cafeteria from 9-12 p.m. with a $5 admission fee if students do not have an ASB card.