Q + A: History teacher Rachel Lee

Mrs. Lee helps a student with his class work.

Haleigh Vinyard

Haleigh Vinyard, Staff Reporter

Rachel Lee teaches United States History and History of Americas II at Tracy High.  She dedicates most of her time to teaching, caring for her four children, and running the large property she lives on.

Where did you go to high school and when did you graduate? “I went to East Union High School in Manteca, California, and graduated in 1989.”

Where did you go to college and when did you graduate? “I attended Brigham Young University (BYU) in Provo, Utah, and graduated in 1994.”

What did you like about BYU the most? “It was always clean there and people where always nice. I felt safe while I was there. I do not think I ever saw one piece of graffiti.”

What are your hobbies? “In my free time I like knitting, sewing, quilting, scrap booking, blogging, and gardening. When I was younger I used to ride horses.

When did you start riding horses? “My dad first put me on a horse when I was 18 months old. I used to barrel race when I was younger.”

Do you have any pets? “On our property we have chickens, goats, sheep, and pigs. We also have a wild turkey that hangs around, as well as some stray cats. We do not have any house pets because I am allergic to just about every animal.”

What do you like about teaching at Tracy High? “I have very good classes the last three years. I enjoy teaching History of Americas II because the class make up is very diverse. Also I learn a lot from my students, they have some great ideas, but you just have to sit down and listen to them.”

What are the names of your children and how old are they? “I have four boys. Their names are Garrett, Noah, Preston, and Colton. Garrett is nine, Noah is six, Preston is three, and Colton is eight months.”

What does Garrett do in his free time? “He enjoys playing Minecraft and he also plays piano, and wrestles.”

What is your favorite thing about Noah? “He is my helper, he goes shopping with me. Noah is very outgoing and friendly. He is always with me.”

What is something funny that Preston does? “Preston believes he is a Master of Spinjitzu, so he always spinning around.”

What is the biggest struggle with Colton so far? “He weighs 26 pounds. Colton is a very happy baby, he loves people and smiling.”

What are some lessons you hope your children will keep with them forever? “To be honest and do the best they can do. I hope they always follow their word and serve others.