Q + A: Woodshop teacher Jason Gentry

Mr. Gentry helps Drew Davis (junior), Jacob Dutra (junior), and Andrew Maroulas (freshman) cut a piece of wood.

Isabelle Milburn

Isabelle Milburn, Staff Reporter

Woodshop teacher Jason Gentry loves his job at Tracy High. He likes being able to be a part of teenagers’ lives and watching them grow into adults of the new generation.

What do you love most about your job? “I get to mold young minds and the leaders of tomorrow.”

What is the most difficult part of your job? “The most difficult part of my job is trying to motivate and inspire students to be better citizens/students.”

What are your hobbies? “I like hunting, fishing, and hanging out with my friends.”

What do you love most about kids? “I love that they are young enough that I can still influence them in a positive manner before they are adults in society.”

What is the strangest job that you have ever had? “In junior college, I was in charge of the checking the heats for sows. A sow is a female pig, and I would have to see if they were in heat and ready to breed.”

Do you have a family? “I have a wife who is pregnant with our second child, a girl named Gracyn, and an 18-month old son named Jeremiah.”

What is your favorite food? “Burritos from Chipotle.”

What did you want to be when you were growing up? “I wanted to follow in my father’s footsteps and go into the Marine Corp.”

If you weren’t a teacher now, what would you be doing? “Either working for the United States Department of Veterans (USVA), or I would be a youth minister.”

What is your favorite day of the week? “I like Fridays because it’s the end of the work week, and I get to hang out with my family and friends.”

If you could have any super power, what would it be? “I would want the ability to fly because I could get from one place to another faster.”

What was your first car? “It was a 1985 orange-red Chevy S10.”

Where did you go to high school and college? “I graduated high school from Northwood High School in Irvine. I graduated from Fresno State, but before that I also attended Mt. San Antonio Junior College in Walnut, California.”

What makes you happy? “Being with my friends and family makes me happy. I love hanging out with them.”

What is the best thing about teaching at Tracy High? “I would have to say the best thing about teaching at Tracy High is the supportive school-wide staff.”

What do you consider the most important thing you have ever done? “The most important thing I have ever done is learning from my mistakes. I have learned from past experiences to just make better choices.”

What drives or motivates you? “Just being a good Christian.”

What is your favorite movie? Lonesome Dove. I like it because it tells the tale of hard work, dedication, goals, and true friendship.”

What is your favorite type of music? “My favorite type of music is country music. My favorite country artist is George Strait and my favorite song of his is ‘Run’.”

What is your philosophy on life? “Making a positive influence and impact on anybody I come in contact with.”