Q + A: Home Economics teacher Debbie Johnson

Home Economics teacher, Debbie Johnson shows her class whats next on the agenda.

Home Economics teacher, Debbie Johnson shows her class what’s next on the agenda.

Hayley Nunes, Staff Reporter

Home Economics, teacher Debbi Johnson loves her job as a teacher. She loves the interaction with her students. She likes it when her students are learning something new and they get it, and do it. She also like working at Tracy High because of her room, it’s close to home, there is really great students, enjoys the faculty and associating with everybody. She has been teaching at Tracy High for seven years and hopes to retire in ten more years.

What is your favorite movie? “I actually don’t have one favorite movie, but my favorite type of movies are action because they’re exciting. I also like love stories.”

What is the book you ever read? “The best book I ever read was The Notebook. I like the romance and love Nicholas Sparks.”

What is the most difficult part about your job? “The most difficult part about my job would be making sure that all students are learning.”

What is your favorite restaurant or place to eat? “I have two favorite places. My number one place is In-N-Out; I love a hot number one. My second favorite place would have to be La Villa because I love Mexican food.”

What is the best trip you ever took? “The best trip I ever had was when my husband, my four kids, and I went to Pismo Beach. My boys had always wanted to go to Pismo and so we finally went. We went camping and it was just fabulous, amazing, and beautiful.”

Do you have a bucket list? “I actually do have one. One item on my bucket list is to go on a cruise because I’ve never been on a cruise and would love to go to the Caribbean. Another item is to take my husband to Hawaii because he has never been there. I would also like to go to Europe because I have never been. My last item would be to watch all my kids be happily married.”

What is your favorite day of the week? Why? “My favorite day of the week would be Friday because I go to In-N-Out. I go every Friday.”

What are your current goals now? “My current goals now would be to see all my kids graduate from college. I have three in college. I have one that’s close to finishing and two others have little ways to go. Another one would be to lose weight. That’s my personal goal.”

What was your first car? “My first car was a Dodge Colt. It was red, small car, and brand new. My dad had bought it for me. It was $4,000.”

Where did you go to college? “I went to Brigham Young University (BYU) in Utah. The school was 10 minutes from my house and it was the only college I ever wanted to go to. BYU was the only school I applied at.”

What drives and/or motivates you? “Being able to get up and accomplish the things I need to do, to make a difference in someone’s life, to help someone, and try to good each day.”