Students view Valentine’s Day in different ways

senior Rachael Rodrigues gets creative with her valentines gift

Hunter Lew

Hunter Lew, Staff Reporter

Each year many people have big expectations and plans for Valentine’s Day.

The original meaning behind Valentine’s Day is when a Christian priest named Valentine came forward and stood up for love. He began to secretly marry soldiers before they went off to war, despite the Emperor Claudius’ orders.

Today the meaning has slightly changed. Many people use Valentine’s Day to show their loved one how much they love and care for them. People spend lots of money on bears, chocolates, and flowers to give to their significant other.

“I feel that it is a sappy and loving day for couples, but for the people who aren’t in a relationship, they usually hate this day,” senior Clayton Fegget said.

Senior Dalton Gualco had slightly different beliefs.

“I believe that Valentine’s Day is silly, but it is nice to know that someone cares for you when they show a little extra effort on this day,” Gualco said.

Another Tracy High student enjoys the holiday.

“I really enjoy Valentine’s Day, even if I don’t have a valentine my dad always makes sure to get me a present and show that he loves me,” senior Jessica Edwards said.

Many people who are single don’t care for this holiday as much as those who are in relationships do.

“I feel that Valentine’s Day is pointless because I feel that people shouldn’t need a specific day to let someone know that they are important to you,” senior Kaleigh Hartman said. “You should let them know everyday.”

Senior Keara O’Brien disagrees.

“I think that Valentine’s Day is a fun holiday for friends and couples to show their appreciation and love for one another,” O’Brien said. “Too often, we get caught up in our busy lives that we forget to do the little things that make someone feel special.”