Students register for 2014-15 classes

Ellie Fisher

Math teacher, Ryan Hern, is signing off a registration form.

Ellie Fisher, Staff Reporter

Tracy High School students are preparing to embark on the next step of their high school education by registering for next year’s classes.

Picking classes can sometimes be hard, but every student has a counselor to help them.

Counselor Jessica Escobedo wants to help students succeed in their classes.

“I always want my kids to take the classes that they want to take,” Escobedo said. “Do not go based on what your friends are taking or what you heard about the class.”

Students have to select classes carefully. A student who wants to get switched out of a class that they signed up for will most likely have a harder time getting out of that class.

“We build the schedule on what the students have signed up for,” Escobedo said. “If they change their mind after the schedule is built, then there is more of a chance that the class that they want will be filled.”

For the counselors, the registration process takes quite awhile.

“Our process for registration takes about two months,” Escobedo said. “We spend about three weeks registering the eighth graders and three weeks with the high school students.

Freshman Nick Flores thinks that his first year in high school was easy and is expecting it to be a little bit harder next year.

“I think sophomore year will be harder,” Flores said. “This year seemed easy for me especially with all of my classes that I am taking.”

The freshman class is preparing to take their first year of social studies at Tracy High School as sophomores.

“World History is going to be the hardest class for me,” Flores said. “I am not very interested in that subject.”

For some freshman, they will be taking a modern language class in their sophomore year. They can choose between French and Spanish. Every student needs to take at least two years of a language class. Next year Flores will be taking Spanish I.

“I have to take Spanish next year, but I am not that nervous,” Flores said. “I really want to learn Spanish, so that I can have an actual conversation with my parents who speak it.”
Freshman registration papers are due Feb. 26-28, during their English classes. All of the students will meet with their counselors to make their schedule official.

Sophomores should be getting ready to experience how an upperclassman should feel. Sophomore Daniel Stork thinks that junior year will not be too difficult.

“I don’t think it will be harder next year,” Stork said. “I am not taking Spanish and that was the hardest class for me this year, so next year will definitely be easier.”

Even though sophomores are thinking about their classes, they are also thinking about all of the advantages of being an upperclassman.

“I am very excited to be a junior,” Stork said. “I get to go off campus with my good friends next year.”

Junior year is also the first year where juniors get the opportunity to take an IB class, which is an advanced class. Stork is signing up for one IB class.

“I am taking IB Chemistry next year,” Stork said. “It is an advanced class and has mental challenges that can help me achieve more in school.”

Sophomores turned in their registration forms on Feb. 24.

It’s the final year for incoming 2015 seniors, and most of them are excited. Seniors have to earn 220 credits in order to get a high school diploma

Some students want a laid back senior year, but others who are doing the IB diploma don’t always get that opportunity.

Junior Jonathan Fox is an IB diploma candidate who knows what he has to take for his senior year.

“Registration is pretty simple, but I feel like we do not get to pick a wide range of classes,” Fox said. “I wanted to take piano, but since I am doing IB diploma, I probably cannot take that class.”

To take an IB class students have to get the registration paper signed by their current teacher for that particular subject.

“If the student is doing well in their class,” Escobedo said, “the current teacher can sign them off to take an IB class.”

Depending on how many credits the incoming senior has, they can take up to four electives during their senior year. Fox only has one elective that he select.

“I am mostly excited for orchestra,” Fox said. “I love Mr. Renner as a teacher, and I am glad I get to have him again for my senior year.”

Junior registration packets are due Feb. 24.