Tennis team seeks to improve and have fun

Rushi Arumalla, junior

Wayne Thallander

Rushi Arumalla, junior

Clayton walker, Staff Reporter

The Tracy High boys’ tennis team has started the season at a fairly decent pace with a league record of 1-1.

To Coach Patrick O’Brien, winning is not everything.

“Watching the players have fun on the court and showing improvement is more rewarding than winning. I can’t wait to see some familiar faces enjoying the game next year,” O’Brien said.

The players strive to improve their tennis skills because they can be seen practicing on the school tennis court every day.

The team’s roster has dramatically changed since last season; however, this does not discourage or the team.

“It’s tough because we lost our top two players from last year,” O’Brien said. “The returning players are definitely better than before.”

The top singles player, Derek Paris, recently injured his shoulder and was unable to play for a month. While he was absent, senior Andrew Canlas took his place. Paris returned March 25, and was able to play against Lincoln.

“I enjoy watching Derek play,” O’Brien said. “He can hit the ball at all of the perfect angles.”

Sophomore Josh Boehm is also one of the team’s greatest assets. He is very mobile, so wherever the ball is, he is able to run it down.

“When I play tennis, I think of the professional Roger Federer,” Boehm, who plays number two singles, said. “He has an amazing forehand shot, and can serve the ball like no one else. I guess I see some similarities in our style, so he is definitely an influence to me.”

The boys’ tennis team will play its next match on April 1, at Bear Creek High School in Stockton.

Danial Sahuri, senior
Danial Sahuri, senior

Ajay Cheema, junior
Ajay Cheema, junior