Q + A: Science teacher Ellen Raco

Ellie Fisher

Ellen Raco is grading papers before her class begins.

Ellie Fisher, Staff Reporter

Ellen Raco teaches Advanced Biology, and Human Physiology. Raco has loved running ever since she was in high school and still continues to run to this day. She is inspired by past teachers who have taught at Tracy High and strives to be the best teacher could be. Raco loves working with her students and says that is her favorite part about her job.

How did you get into long-distance running? “I ran track in high school and college. In graduate school, I used to run with a group of my friends and they talked me into running marathons.”

Why did you become a teacher? “In graduate school, I really liked teaching classes. When I quit the Ph.D. program, I decided to become a teacher.”

What is your favorite meal? “I love pizza, especially cheese with hot peppers! I get that every time at Pizza Plus in Ripon.”

What is your favorite movie? “I have watched ‘Miracle on 34th Street’ ever since I was a little girl. I watch it every Christmas.”
What is the most important lesson in life? “Do what you really want to do. Go for it and just do it.”

What do you like about your job the most? “Working with the students because each and every one is an individual. I like to get to know my students.”
What is your main goal in life? “To be happy and healthy. Being healthy is my main goal.”

How did you feel about being a cross country coach for West High when you were a teacher at Tracy High? “I was split about it, but I enjoyed working with the West High runners because my husband was the head coach. During this time I got to share something with him and that felt really special.”

What is your favorite hobby? “It’s basically running and reading. I like all genres in every book, and I do not have a favorite book.”

Who inspires you? “Mr. Brown who used to teach at Tracy High. He just had a way of teaching that really got the students interested in the subject. I strive to be like him.”

Who is your favorite superhero? Why? “Cat Woman or Superwoman because they are strong females.”
What is your “go-to” drink after a run? “It would be water because I find it the most hydrating.