Leadership sponsors special dance for students

A group of students enjoy their time at the Special Education dance.

Sarah Bai, Staff Reporter

Approximately 280 Special Education students throughout San Joaquin County had the opportunity to attend a dance held by Tracy High School’s leadership class on April 4.

Leadership teacher Alayna Carter discussed the inspirations to start the Special Education dance.

“We started it four years ago and it’s because I’ve always had, even when I was a student here, a great relationship with special needs kids,” Carter said. “I just wanted to bring something back on campus that was going to include our entire county. Our students can learn so much from it as well.”

The dance, which lasted from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., was held in the main gym and incorporated a luau theme. For students who could not tolerate loud noise or wanted a break from the dance, they had the option of going to the sensory table (a table with objects to touch). One half of the gym was a dance floor and other half were tables, including the sensory table.

Senior Alex Trovao, who has helped with the dance all four years, talked about the origins of the sensory table.

“We have a sensory table that’s usually put on by Lindsie Stokes. She started the sensory table last year, and she presented this as her senior project this year,” Trovao said. “Students like to go and touch all the toys on the sensory table, it calms them down. She’s prepared sand and rice and tubs.”

Trovao acts as Inclusion commissioner. Trovao organizes Inclusion, which is a weekly activity held every Friday between first and second lunch. Inclusion helps bring together leadership students with Special Education students.

Carter discussed how the Inclusion program started.

“Sarah Silvinson, the teacher on campus in charge of the severely handicapped class, came up to me last year and wanted to talk about doing some things together with our students,” Carter said. “She started off with kids who wouldn’t even step foot inside the cafeteria because they had bad experience at other schools. What we wanted to do was link our kids together, so her kids could feel more accepted and comfortable on campus.”

Silvinson commented on the positive influence Inclusion has had on her students.

“I think that my students are Tracy High School students and they really feel that they aren’t separate or a side thought,” Silvinson said. “We belong here and teachers like Mrs. Carter and students like the kids in leadership and just kids we see in the hall truthfully, authentically, welcome my students and include them. That affects everything we do, our students’ morale, our students’ social skills, and self-pride.”

Trovao was inspired to become Inclusion commissioner because her brother is in the Special Education program. She discussed the variety of noontime activities students enjoy during Inclusion.

“Every Friday I put on a Special Education noontime event between both lunches,” Trovao said. “It’s just about 15 minutes. We [the leadership kids] play some games with them. We have done paper airplanes, musical chairs, and made posters for the basketball team.”

Senior Devra Asah, ASB president, also participated in the Special Education dance and attends Inclusion every week. Both activities have taught her a lot about interacting with others.

“At first, I was afraid to go up to Special Education kids, but after the dance and spending so much time with them during noontime, I’m more comfortable around them and they’re more comfortable around me,” Asah said.

Carter talked about her most touching moment during the Special Education dance.

“Everybody would probably think it’s watching the kids out there having a great time. More importantly, my students, the leadership students, learn the most,” Carter said. “We always do it right around prom when they think prom is the most important thing in the world and we put on something like the Special Education dance and it really puts things in perspective for them.”

For Trovao, her most touching moment was her freshman year, the first year she attended the Special Education dance.

“My brother was so so excited to see me there it literally brought me to tears,” Trovao said. “It was amazing how happy it made the Special Education kids happy because they enjoyed we put this on for them. It’s their favorite time of the year.”

Asah’s most touching moment occurred at the end of the dance.

“Every year at the end, they play “You’re Beautiful Just the Way You Are” by Bruno Mars,” Asah said. “Every time that song comes on, it makes me realize how blessed I am and how much fun everyone is having. They’re dancing, and they’re beautiful just the way they are. It puts everything in perspective.”

The leadership class plans on holding the Special Education dance for years to come. Senior Melissa Clark, community service commissioner, talked about the success of this year’s Special Education dance.

“From their reaction this year, the students all love it, and a lot of students want to keep coming back,” Clark said.