Oki helps to lead Bulldogs to top of league

Wayne Thallander

Braedon Oki taking a big swing.

Isabelle Milburn, Staff Reporter

Being fast has really helped Braedon Oki excel on the baseball field.

A three-year varsity player, Oki leads the Tracy High team with a .511 batting average and 17 scored runs in 15 games. No one else has scored in the double digits.

“Braedon is definitely a huge factor to our team,” junior Robert Ramirez said. “He is not only productive offensively, but he is also a stud in the outfield. He is what we call a five-star player, (a player who hits for average, hits for power, has speed on the bases, power, and fielding prowess) someone who can basically do everything.”

Head coach Vic Alkire enjoys having Oki as a part of his team.

“Braedon is one of the best outfielders,” Alkire said. “He is very quiet on the field, but he is a leader by example.”

Oki moved to centerfield this year after playing shortstop and second base most of his high school career. His speed is a factor – he has 14 stolen bases this season.

Oki said he worked a lot on his offense between seasons. He also plays for the travel teams Tracy Aztecs and Tracy Outlaws. Oki’s father, Ken, has coached him off and on since he was 5 years old. Oki puts in work on his own, too.

“My dad is my hitting coach,” Oki said. “He adjusts my swing and tries to push me to the best of my ability. To improve my hitting skills, I have done a lot of hitting off of the tee. I also take every swing at game speed and stay short to the ball.”

Oki has played with many of this teammates since he was 10, including senior Aaron Denholm and Ramirez. Denholm is not surprised his friend plays well at multiple positions.

“He is doing very well,” Denholm said. “He is an excellent outfielder.”

“He has most of our runs batted in or he even does it all on his own just by being smart on the bases,” Ramirez said. “He is just a guy who is hard to get out because of his power and speed which makes him an absolute threat for the league.”

Oki is hard on himself, though. He said he is happy about his batting average, but expects more.

“I am happy about the average, but it could be better,” Oki said. “I just have to keep working and focusing on not trying to do too much and stay within myself.”

As a team, Oki feels that there could still be some improvement.

“We could be doing better,” Oki said. “To be a better team we have to be more consistent.”

Oki has been playing baseball since he was five years old, and is now about to graduate high school still playing the game.

“What I am going to miss most about high school baseball is the friendships on and off the field with all of my teammates,” Oki said.

As well as playing high school ball with some good friends, Oki has also played ball with some of the same guys ever since he was little.

“I have been playing with Braedon since we were both 10,” Denholm said. “So, about eight years.”

Ramirez said, “Braedon and I have been playing for and against each other since I was 9 and he was 10. I am definitely going to miss this guy not only as a teammate, but also as a best friend.”

The Bulldogs are 10-5 overall and 5-2 in the San Joaquin Athletic Association.

“We are only one-half of a game out of first place,” Alkire said.

Tracy will host the Franklin Yellow Jackets at Monte Vista Middle School on April 18, at 4 p.m.