Softball team overcomes Fisher’s injury

Hayley+Nunes+runs+to+make+a+base.+

Hayley Nunes runs to make a base.

Rana Khan, Staff Reporter

Tracy High’s varsity softball team continues to have an excellent season according to coach Greg Smith. Tracy is 7-1 in league and 13-3 overall.

Tracy is doing well despite the team captain, Ellie Fisher, being hit in the face with a ball during a game on March 29, causing her to fracture her jaw and sit out for two weeks. Fisher has a batting average of .429 and plays centerfield.

“I miss having Ellie on the field because she’s played with me for four years,” Smith said. “However, she’s still a great part of the team because she’s encouraging everyone, but I definitely miss her on the lineup.”

Fisher misses playing softball with her team and is disappointed that she has to sit out and can’t play.

“I feel a little disappointed because it’s my senior year,” Fisher said. “However, I’m coming back soon so I am excited!”

Many of the team members have made up for Fisher being out.

“A lot of juniors have been stepping up because of Ellie being out,” Smith said.

One girl who has stood out and made great improvements is shortstop Hayley Nunes who has a batting average of .583. Along with playing on the Tracy High team Nunes also plays on a travel team called OBS Monarchs out of Oakdale.

“Hayley Nunes is doing really well,” Smith said. “She’s starting to hit the ball very well.”

Fisher is also proud of the way Nunes has been playing and sees great improvement in her since the season started.

“Hayley is hitting so well right now,” Fisher said. “She’s showing great leadership on the team.”

Nunes, who has been playing with Fisher for three years now, admits that not having Fisher on the team was hard but making up for the loss came naturally to her.

“I stepped up by having a strong defense,” Nunes said. “I also kept up my batting.”

Both Nunes and Fisher hope that the team continues to do well and improve their game so that the team can make it to playoffs.

“Playoffs is a huge thing for high school,” Nunes said. “I hope my team can stay strong and fight it out till league ends. Then we need to work even harder to make it to playoffs.”

Tracy High will host Bear Creek High on April 16, at 3:30 p.m. Bear Creek is the only team that has beaten Tracy in league this season, 2-1. Playoffs are May 17-21.