This is my high school career: Blake Lazar

Blake Lazar, junior

Wayne Thallander

Blake Lazar, junior

Blake Lazar, Associate Editor

High school is something many people think of simply as the next step in education. Some people think of it as the greatest four years of their lives. From lengthy lectures and up-all-night projects due to procrastination, to exciting football games and dances with your friends, no matter what it is, high school is merely an unforgettable experience. I can honestly say it has been a great journey.

I remember walking into the halls of the big Tracy High School “A” building, as it was called then, on the first day of my freshman year. Walking into Mrs. Bassett’s geometry class with all of these unfamiliar faces was quite the shock.

Going from a small private elementary school to a middle school where everyone knew each other’s names, it was definitely a bit of a change coming into high school, but just like everything else, it just took a bit of patience and positive thinking to make my high school career how it is today.

Yes, freshman year I was still a bit quiet. I hung out with my same group of friends from middle school, and I do not think I was living the full high school experience this year since I was still adjusting. I joined a few clubs and did a bunch of community service, but it was all something to learn from.

By the summer going into my sophomore year, I had a bit of a change of mindset on high school, but still to this day I do not think of it as a major alter in attitude or thinking.

My year as a sophomore felt almost identical to freshman year. Tough classes, not putting myself out there enough, and hanging out with the same group of friends. I joined the cross country team and did a lot better than I thought I would. I had an awesome season and was very eager to continue being a runner.

I guess that would lead us to junior year then. Could it be another year of the same old thing? Ha, think again.

I was never sure if it was the fact that I had my license or the off-campus lunch or the abundance of new friends, but now that the year is coming up to a wrap there is nothing more I could have asked for.

I had the ultimate junior year if anyone asks me.

I had a far better cross country season than sophomore year, I participated in practically every school event, and I just felt so much more comfortable on campus and so much happier with my life.

My life at home has always been the same, absolutely amazing, but now I can honestly say that my life at school is exactly the same.

I cannot be more happy with everything going on around me, the people around me, and what the future holds.

I’d say getting your braces off and getting your license are probably the best two things to happen to a kid.

I cannot remember the last time I had a day with nothing to do…busy weekends, cramped school days, and everyday on break, I always have way too much to do. I definitely consider it a good thing.

All I can say to that little shy freshman coming in next year is, do not hold back. If you want to make new friends and be completely active around school, do so. Do whatever your heart and mind desires. I guarantee you that you will be a much happier student, friend, son/daughter, athlete, everything.

As I approach senior year, the last year of my high school career, I am planning on it being one of the best years of my life. I picked my classes with so much thought and effort and I am so excited to see what new things I am going to accomplish. Meeting even more people is always a good thing too, especially since Tracy High is such a comfortable place to meet new friends and enjoy yourself in.

Even as a junior I am definitely ready to go to college and continue the journey of my life. I cannot wait to see what my future holds.