Q + A: Drama teacher Jose Ortiz

Mr.+Ortiz+writes+works+on+his+computer.+

Mr. Ortiz writes works on his computer.

Rana Khan, Staff Reporter

Tracy High’s new drama teacher Jose Ortiz enjoys watching many different plays. He loves the Tracy High drama program and met many famous Broadway actors. At times he misses acting, but enjoys teaching.

How did you get into acting?

“I have been involved in acting at the age of four. I would do school plays and community plays. I went through with it all the way through elementary school, high school, and college. I realized I wanted to teach drama when I missed it.”

What is your favorite play?

“I don’t have one favorite. I love so many plays. There are a lot of good plays across so many different genres. ‘Into the Woods’ is a play the kids just did, and they did phenomenal, so that’s what’s in my mind right now.”

How has teaching at Tracy High been so far?

“Tracy High has been interesting. I had big shoes to fill. Ms. Lish was an amazing teacher and very talented. I felt like the expectations were high.”

Where did you go to college?

“I went to CSU Stanislaus for my bachelors in theater and to get my teaching credential. I went to Grand Canyon University to get my masters.”

What is your favorite part of theater?

“I miss acting. When I’m teaching and directing, watching the students act makes me miss it. I also really like teaching. My favorite part is after a show when the cast does their bows. It’s good to know that their work has been acknowledged.”

What is your favorite performance for yourself?

“My first play at CSU Stanislaus called ‘Fools’. It is memorable because it was my first college play. It made me form the idea of teaching.”

Who was your favorite drama teacher?

“Mr. Everett who was in charge of the theater program at CSU Stanislaus. He helped students and used to be an actor.”

Have you met anyone famous on Broadway?

“I have never hung out with anyone famous, but I have gotten autographs from people like Anthony Rapp and Matt Shingledecker who is now in ‘Wicked’.”

What was the weirdest you have had?

“I worked at a carnival in high school. I traveled a lot and met many different people. When you work with the public you hear a lot of funny stories.”

How is the drama program at Tracy High?

“It is a really good program. The students are talented and really hard working. The drama program has all new teachers and they are all nice.”

How has the staff at Tracy High been?

“The staff has been wonderful. They really made me feel welcome. Drama is usually not seen as a serious subject, but Tracy High takes it seriously. ”