Q + A: Special Education teacher Sarah Silvinson

Silvinson prepares a lesson on the white board for her students.

Maxine Almendra, Staff Reporter

Sarah Silvinson is a special education teacher at Tracy High. She is inspired everyday by her students and loves her job at Tracy High.

How long have you worked at Tracy High? “I have worked at Tracy high for two years.”

What did you major in in college? “I was an English major in college.”

Where did you work before Tracy High? “I worked mostly at Costco, but I was also a paraprofessional.”

What do you love most about working with kids? “I like seeing kids reach their own potential. To see a kid not necessarily believe they can achieve something, and then watching them succeed.”

Is there a specific moment you remember where you were most proud of your students? “I’m proud of all my kids every day. They have an incredible work ethic and produce things to the best of their ability.”

Where’s your favorite place to eat? “Texas Roadhouse and Black Bear diner. I like eating at loud places because I have kids and they are loud.”

Where’s your favorite place to go on vacation? “My family and I take a trip to Pismo every year and have a lot of fun riding quads and dirt bikes. I also love traveling in Europe because it’s great to experience other cultures.”

What’s your favorite book? “I love ‘The Best Loved Poems of the American People’ and I take it everywhere with me on trips. It has all of my favorite poems.”

How many kids do you have? “I have four kids. Ruth is the oldest. Julia is the second child,57 and then two twins Abigail and Emma that are nine months old.”

Who is your favorite super hero? “I have a lot of super heroes. My wife, my mom and dad, and my kids are my super heroes.”

If you could go anyplace in the world where would you go? “I would go camping with my kids anywhere, even Japan. I have already traveled to Europe and it was nice to see all the places I learned about in school. I haven’t been to Africa yet, so I’d love to go there too.”

What are your favorite hobbies? “I love dirt biking, building, going outdoors, and teaching. I built a tree house with my kids, and I love teaching them new things.”