Q + A: Math teacher Greg Smith

Math teacher Greg Smith challenges a student to a game of chess.

Taylor Mellick, Staff Reporter

Greg Smith teaches Geometry and Advanced Math to his students at Tracy High School. As well as teaching, Smith also coaches sophomore football and varsity softball. He loves to play chess with his students, and he is a pastor for his church in his free time.

What influenced you to become a math teacher? “I have always been pretty good at math and wanted to coach high school sports, so math was the best subject to try.”

What caused you to not retire this year? “My plan from the beginning was to retire next year, the extra money to retire that the district offered this year just was not enough to influence me to leave a year early.”

What do you enjoy coaching more, softball or football? “I enjoy them both about equally. I have always loved football, and I enjoy the girls I coach for softball.”

Is it difficult living away from your wife, who lives in Wisconsin, most of the year? “Of course, I visit her as much as I can, and soon we will live together.”

If you had not become a teacher, what would you think you would have become? “Besides playing football for money, I am not sure. I never put in that much thought.”

What is your most important goal as a teacher to teach your students by the end of the year? “I always hope they leave my class with a stronger understanding of math than they came in with.”

Do you believe your students and players look up to you? “I would like to assume so, it would be nice to think I am a role model to them.”

Do you have any memorable times during your time teaching or coaching at Tracy High? “Every year I have a couple students or players who vastly improve their skills through the year, and that is the best I can ask for.”

What is the best reward you receive as you see a struggling student start to understand the math problems? “It is always an indication that I am doing my job, the kids are the reason I teach.”

Do you have any teaching style you believe is specific to you? “I generally like to give the students class time to do their homework, that way if they have questions, I am there to answer them.”

Where did you go to college? What was it like? “I went to Stanford to play football. The four years went by very fast because it was so much fun.”