Athlete of the Year: Damon Stroup

Wayne Thallander

Damon Stroup carries the ball against Franklin of Elk Grove.

Regine Manuel, Staff Reporter

Damon Stroup one of Tracy High’s top football players has been selected for the senior male Athlete of the Year award. He played basketball and football for all four years of high school and has participated in track this year.

What awards or scholarships did you get? “I won most valuable player in basketball twice, in football once, and I have around six captain stars for both of those sports.”

What did you like about playing? “I just love the competitiveness of playing sports.”

What was your favorite experience? “Going to playoffs for football last year was definitely one of my favorite experiences. Also, in basketball when I hit six three point shots against Lodi.”

How did you feel about winning games? “I just felt accomplished. It was exciting and it showed that all the hard work and preparation paid off.”

Who was your favorite coach? “Coach Selna because I have known him for a long time, and we are really close. I think he’s an intelligent coach in the way he coaches.”

What was the most difficult part of playing sports? “I think it was the most difficult having to learn things that I don’t already know how to do.”

What did you do to get pumped up for games? “I usually just listen to music, mostly rap music, to get me pumped up. Some of my favorite songs are ‘Ambition’ by Wale and ‘The Boys of Fall’ by Kenny Chesney.”

What is an important lesson you learned from playing sports in high school? “I learned that it’s important to be on time.”

What are your future goals for sports? ” I don’t plan on continuing with football after college, so I just plan to play football in college.”

How have sports impacted your life? “Sports taught me how to deal with problems. If something’s not going as planned it teaches you to persevere through the problem.”

What are your plans for college? “I’m going to Luther University in Iowa to play football on a scholarship. I don’t know exactly what I want to major in, but I know it will be something in the business field.”

Who or what motivates you? “My family and God.”

What are your other hobbies? “I like playing baseball, golf, and fishing. I also enjoy snowboarding.”

What is your favorite food? “Barbequed chicken because it tastes good.”

Who is your favorite superhero? “Superman, because he can’t die.”

What is the best advice you have ever received? “My parents always told me that it’s important to be on time because I would always be late.”

What does is mean to be a Bulldog? “It means that you are someone who works hard and has a lot of spirit.”