Girls’ swim season ends with promising look for the future

Girls swimmers pose with coach Erin Mann at swim banquet.

Taylor Mellick, Staff Reporter

The Bulldogs girls’ swim team finished section swim meet with a promising look toward next year. Swimmers at the sophomore and junior levels exceeded expectations finishing high in the standings among the top swimmers in the area.

Bridgette Houser and Lane Fishburn had swum in the section meet before, both having finished lower in the ranks than they did this year.

“Each year you compete in the meet, you can tell you have gotten faster from last year,” Fishburn said, “but so has each other swimmer, so the meet is constantly stacked with competition.”

Houser also swims  for the Tracy Tritons. Her goal is to become a faster swimmer in the breast stroke. Not only is it her favorite stroke, but it is the one she has been working on to become faster ever since she started swimming.

“When I first started swimming with the Tritons, my coach saw I had very good technique,” Houser said. “Ever since then, he has been pushing me to do my best and become skilled in the stroke.”

This year, many new swimmers came to try out for swimming. The coaches really tried to increase the swimmers’ stamina and strength throughout the season to prepare them for next year’s meets.

“When new swimmers come join the team, our goal is to make them better swimmers,” coach Jessica Lenart said. “Preparing them for league isn’t as important as making sure they will be successful in years to come.”

Female divers finished the year as well, and are looking forward to next season’s meets. Improvements were shown from the newer divers.

“Girls’ diving has never really been very popular at Tracy High,” coach Dominique Banner said. “We really only get a few girls who will dive all four years, and these new divers are really showing some promising signs for years to come.”