Girls’ soccer wins sixth consecutive league title; lose in first round of playoffs

Senior Daesha Brown receives a pass in 2-1 win against Sierra.

Luke Pulliam, Sports Editor

After Tracy’s girls’ soccer team won the San Joaquin Athletic Association (SJAA) championship for the sixth year in a row, the sixth-seeded Bulldogs were upset in the first round of the Sac-Joaquin Section (SJS) Division two playoffs by 11th seeded Rio Americano, 3-0 on May 6 at Tracy.

Coach Nate Perry had expectations of winning the SJS championship heading into playoffs but felt the Bulldogs did not play up to their potential.

“In order to win in the playoffs, you must play your very best each game,” Perry said. “We did not do that against Rio Americano.”

Despite the disappointing end to the season, the senior Bulldogs were proud of their accomplishments over the last four years.

“It was not the way I wanted to end my senior year,” senior Kelly Brooks said. “Although it hurts right now, I want to thank my teammates and coaches for all the memories and success we have had my last four years.”

It was a special year for one senior in particular that was named the SJAA Most Valuable Player, Daesha Brown. Brown, a midfielder, had 16 goals and 10 assists this season.

Brown was surprised when she heard that she had won and felt honored.

“I was honestly surprised at first,” Brown said. “I feel honored and definitely would not have done this without my teammates.”

Perry said that she not only performed well on the field, but was a strong leader for the Bulldogs.

“She obviously has tremendous talent on the field,” Perry said, “but off the field she really emerged as a leader and captain this season.”

Junior Jenna Wesely was also named SJAA Most Valuable Midfielder. Wesely, like Brown, was also quick to give credit to her teammates.

“It was very exciting knowing all my hard work paid off,” Wesely said, “but there is no way I would have won this award without all my awesome teammates and coaches.”

Seniors Brooks, Cailie Chayrez, and Dallyce Marglon, junior Samantha Reich, and sophomores Denae Enos and Ashley Hallen were all named to the SJAA All-League team.

Tracy, a team that is returning all but five seniors, has its hopes set high for next season.

“It will hurt losing our captains (Brooks, Brown, and Marglon),” Wesely said, “but others including myself will have to step up and lead this team and hopefully make it deeper into playoffs next season.”