Construction continues on new McDonald’s near campus

Clayton Walker, Staff Reporter

Day by day, the McDonald’s restaurant that is currently under construction on East Eleventh Street,  one block away from Tracy High, is moving closer to completion.

KDC Construction is building the restaurant. The company is on a 94-day construction schedule, so it should be open for business around Oct. 15.

“This is awesome news for us upper classmen;” senior Nathan Villa said, “however, it may be kind of bad for Tracy High. I’m all for the McDonald’s, but another fast food joint across the street? That can’t be too healthy.”

This will be the fifth McDonald’s in Tracy.

“I am pretty excited actually, but I’m not going to eat it every day,” junior Jeri Ke’ala Madriaga said, “Health-wise it may have a negative effect on the students.”

Madriaga was not the only person with this viewpoint.

“With all of the new laws being passed, the school has very nutritious lunch options,” Carrie Jones,  food service supervisor, said, “We have so many healthy food choices, and the students do not even realize that it is good.”

“People are going to become fat, which will probably lead to low P.E. participation. Last year, we had days when less than half of the class would participate, now think of it with a McDonald’s across the street,” junior Robert Cole said.

Assistant Principal Joni McGinnis, had a different take on the soon-to-open eatery.            “The McDonald’s will be good because the students will have more off-campus choices for lunch,” McGinnis said. “When we have home games, the opposing teams will also have a place to eat. However, traffic will increase in the area.”