Dance team leaps into a new year

Dance+team+performs+at+first+home+football+game.+

Dance team performs at first home football game.

Alex Leonardo, Staff Reporter

A unique aspect of Tracy High School is the dual spirit team that rallies the crowd at every home game. The two bodies that make up this two part system are the cheer team and the dance team. Although the two teams may be different, they both serve the same purpose: to entertain and inspirit the crowd.

The dance team is unique because its members use a special set of skills and technique to choreograph intricate dances that are appealing to the crowd.

The dance team has a new head coach to lead the team. Morgan Mulholland has taken the responsibility of taking charge of the dance team.

“I was part of numerous competition teams, the Tracy High School dance team, the Long Beach State dance team, and also went to college to major in dance,” Mulholland said.

Mulholland said how these experiences will help her improve the attitude of the team.

“I want to make this a great year,” she said. “The camaraderie of a team is something that is essential, but also very special.”

Mulholland has been dancing since she was seven years old and believes it is essential to life. “[Dance] is everything to me,” she said. “It is extremely hard, but also incredibly satisfying.”

“Dancers must be physically aware of themselves while also expressing emotion and passion,” she said.

These are the basic principles she wants to establish. Mulholland wants the dancers to be aware of themselves, but also include a display of deep feeling.

The dance team has a total of 15 members, of which five are veterans.

“It can be difficult to control such a large team,” Mulholland commented, “but it will help engage the school in our performances.”

Mulholland plans to change a few things in order to fully enthrall the crowd.

“I want to make the dance team more of a staple at Tracy High,” she said. “I’ve tried to enlarge the team and choreograph eye-catching routines, so that the dance team is more recognized.”

Despite all of the qualifications and the passion she displays, Mulholland feels somewhat intimidated to be a new coach for the dance team.

“It’s intimidating being a new figure of authority to a bunch of high school students, who are quick to judge,” she said.

This quick judgment, however, was not expressed by any of the dancers. Lexi Gomez, a third-year veteran of the team, said, “[Mulholland] is great and brings a different and exciting experience to the team.”

Tianna Johnson, a senior who has been on the team since her freshman year also had positive feelings towards the new coach.

“It’s especially nice,” Johnson said, “to be able to have a studio to practice in regularly.”

In addition, Lauren Perry, a senior, two-year veteran of the team, and team captain loves the new team complex.

“It’s a great new atmosphere that is a balance of both seriousness and fun,” Perry said.

Perry looks forward to drilling the routines and working hard, as well as bonding with the team.

Perry was also very excited about the large number of new members on the team.

“A large team is great. We have more mature and experienced dancers this year, which helps us highlight certain talents better,” she said.

The Tracy High School dance team performs at the majority of the home games during both football and basketball seasons. They will be performing at half-time of the varsity football game against Beyer High School on Sept. 12.