Girls’ volleyball team earns first league title since 2000

Stu Jossey

Sophomore Chelsey Eddy-Berry jumps to attack the ball.

Blake Lazar, Editor-in-Chief

The Tracy High girls’ volleyball team earned a co-league championship along with Stockton rivals Lincoln and St. Mary’s and a spot in the Sac-Joaquin Section playoffs after beating West, 3-0, on Oct. 29.

“It feels amazing to be tied with the co-champions,” coach Mahina McCamey said. “I am so proud of the girls and all of their accomplishments.”

McCamey thinks that this season is one of the most memorable and she hopes the six senior girls will end it with a “bang!”

“It’s something special to be co-league champions, especially with teams like St. Mary’s and Lincoln,” senior Michelle Laiolo said. “They are two schools with consistently good programs and it only adds to a sense of rivalry for future years in the new league.”

Tracy’s Tri-City Athletic Leauge (TCAL) record is 8-2.

“I think this gives us hope to take league by ourselves in the future and push ourselves to get better as a team,” Laiolo said.

Four-year varsity starter Casey Eddy-Berry was pleased with the team’s accomplishments, but said the game against West was definitely not her best.

“It was a big game for us,” Eddy-Berry said. “It determined what happened with our league standings.”

Eddy-Berry had 11 digs in the game against West, while her sister Chelsey had nine.

“Our team is capable of going all the way as long as we put our heart and passion into it,” Eddy-Berry said. “The games will be tough though.”

Laiolo agreed with Eddy-Berry.

“Playoffs this year, as all other years, will be tough,” Laiolo said. “It’s the best of the best.”

Senior Mika Fithian was surprised by the team’s league title gain but is excited for playoffs.

“Considering St. Mary’s and Lincoln beat us in our first round of the season, it was an awesome comeback to beat them both the second time,” Fithian said. “It reassured our chance to tie for first again.”

Fithian said that mental preparation is the key to success in volleyball.

“Over the season, I have been able to connect better with each individual player,” Fithian said. “With repetition I now compete better as an athlete.”

Laiolo thinks it takes both mental and physical preparation to be prosperous.

“We’ve really had to dig deep and push ourselves to do our best in the sport we all love even when the times got tough,” Laiolo said.

Eddy-Berry, Fithian, and Laiolo agreed that the game against West was bittersweet because it was Senior Night and it was the last league game on a high school volleyball team.

Tracy has not been volleyball league champions since the 2000-2001 school year, with the help of Tracy alumnae Gini Ullery, who now coaches volleyball at the collegiate level.

“I think this league championship definitely helps people realize that we are a strong volleyball program and one of the toughest contenders in the area,” McCamey said.

The girls have high hopes for next year’s team and the years to follow.

“Seeing the program grow and develop skills this past year gives me great hope and excitement for the future of the Tracy High volleyball program,” Laiolo said.

McCamey is convinced her girls have what it takes to rank high in playoffs.

“I am hoping our team will play together with confidence as they have been doing great for the past few weeks,” McCamey said. “They are a great team and the sky is the limit for them. They just have to believe that.”

The first playoff game is on Nov. 6 and the rival team and location have not yet been announced.