Q + A: ASB President Devra Asah

Senior Devra Asah in a meeting with fellow ASB members, senior Vicky Gracie, senior Samantha Worthington, junior Ale Rodriguez, and senior Gianna Violante

Melissa Clark

Rachael Rodrigues, Staff Reporter

Senior Devra Asah is the first female African-American Associated Student Body (ASB) President. Asah is well known around campus for her determination and school involvement. She has been a part of leadership since she came to Tracy High School in the middle of her freshman year. Jahmil Lacey was the first male African American ASB president in 2002.

How does it feel to be the first female African-American ASB president and does it affect you? “No it doesn’t affect me at all. Honestly, people around me are the ones that point it out. I do feel honored and think it is cool, but I don’t like to think about it at the same time.”

What is it like being the top position in leadership? “I want to say it is a mix of excitementand stress (good stress). It is also really fun. The whole class looks up to you, and I try to make a good example.”

How do you manage and get through all the responsibilities as the ASB president? “As of right now, I communicate a lot with Lindsey Raaker and Samantha Worthington. They help me get everything I need and keep on track.”

What drives you or motivates you? “The fact that people depend on me, so it means I have to get things done. I hate to let people down, so I know I have to do it.”

How has being in leadership made an impact on your life? “It has made a huge impact, my high school experience has been great.”

What have you learned? “I learn how to deal with others and be a team. Also, being president I have learned how to deal with different personalities and be patient.”

Have you had to make any major or important decisions? “Not yet, but only because it’s just the beginning of the year.”

What do you love most about the opportunity to be in your position? “That people look at me as a person that they can ask questions to and depend on.”

If someone were to describe what kind of person you are, what would they say? “They would say loud, crazy, ambitious, and determined.”

What goals have you set for yourself this year? “To be more open minded, and get things done earlier. So far it has been going well.”

Do you believe that skills you have gained from being in leadership will help you in the future? “Definitely! Ninety-nine percent of everything, how to lead a team but also be a team member or planning large events.”